A DSLR for my birthday,question is which one?

Nikon D3000 or D5000. both are great for beginners. I work in a camera shop and I recommend these to all newcomers. Id say out of the two, 80% get the D5000.

I would choose the D5000 - but my reasons may be different from your needs. For example - my understanding is that the 450d does not have video - the D5000 does. I wont use it alot but its fun sometimes. It also has the D300s' sensor and the D90's Auto Focus sensors, and the D300s' image processing engine. I really love Nikons Info button which as some have already mentioned - is really intuative and straight forward to use when it comes to changing settings etc (when you come to that stage). It has a flipppy screen which I dont have! But I can only imagine it would lead to more creative shots.

It has 12 focus points vs 450d's 9 focus points and will shoot at 4 fps frames per second vs canons 450d's 3.5fps. It only has a 2.7inch screen because of the flippy screen whereas the 450d has a 3inch. And the big thing for me would be shooting at higher iso's with no/low grain/noise. The d5000 is alot better for this.

The 450d is an excellent camera - but i feel the D5000 is better. Those reasons above are why I would pick the Nikon.

If you got a great deal on the 450d though you would still end up with a fantastic camera.

Hi if you're going to take a Canon entry go straight to the 500D. It's quite a lot better than the 450D and almost the same price.
I took quite a few photos with it and it is pretty good entry level. You can see my 500D shots here: Canon 500D Martin Soler Photography

I was pretty happy with it until it was stolen. But that's a whole other story.

Only trouble that I seemed to have was noise. But I never found out if that was because of my inept use or if it was the camera.

I currently have the Nikon D300 and I think the pics have a better quality overall. Though lower mega pix. You can see my D300 pics here:
nikon d300 Martin Soler Photography

See for yourself if you can notice the difference. On Nikon try the D90 it's the 500D equivalent.

Martin both of your photos taken by Nikon D300 and Canon 500D are really great so its kind of hard to tell but i think i'm more convinced with the Nikon,it has some really good feedback and a better general quality.

I would choose the D5000 - but my reasons may be different from your needs. For example - my understanding is that the 450d does not have video - the D5000 does. I wont use it alot but its fun sometimes. It also has the D300s' sensor and the D90's Auto Focus sensors, and the D300s' image processing engine. I really love Nikons Info button which as some have already mentioned - is really intuative and straight forward to use when it comes to changing settings etc (when you come to that stage). It has a flipppy screen which I dont have! But I can only imagine it would lead to more creative shots.

It has 12 focus points vs 450d's 9 focus points and will shoot at 4 fps frames per second vs canons 450d's 3.5fps. It only has a 2.7inch screen because of the flippy screen whereas the 450d has a 3inch. And the big thing for me would be shooting at higher iso's with no/low grain/noise. The d5000 is alot better for this.

The 450d is an excellent camera - but i feel the D5000 is better. Those reasons above are why I would pick the Nikon.

If you got a great deal on the 450d though you would still end up with a fantastic camera.

out of both choices i feel more into Nikon.
i thank everyone for their posts ,it really has been a great help to someone like me doesnt know alot about cameras.

I'm sure both the D5000 and 450D will offer you more than enough you can handle as a new comer.

They are great cameras, they offer great features. The whole is Canon better than Nikon (or vice versa) debate is pretty stupid IMO. Both manufacturers make great gear.

I bought a 450D a few years ago. All the shots on my website are with the 450D. I love that camera, was a great entry point for me. The reason I went Canon over Nikon is that I prefer the ergonomics of the Canon over the Nikon. I preferred the button layout and so on. I also have a friend who shoots Canon and he has some pro level lenses. And you get into photography, the lenses are a much much much better investment than the body.

ohhh yea I forgot about the flip out live view of the D5000. I find it VERY useful on mine especially with super low angle shots. I take a lot of super low angle shots though so I really love it

Bigtwinky - just been looking through your website and enjoyed my time there. Yours is a great example of what can be acheived through knowing your equipment and how to use it. Some really great photography - and a nice site too. All the very best to you :)

As for the canon vs nikon debate, yes it can be a little silly but its not that silly to the person spending money (or somebody elses!) and getting into the DSLR arena for the first time. Not that long ago I was in the same boat - I ended up going for a Samsung DSLR > wish I went straight for Canon or Nikon - but I didnt use great forums like these to seek advice :-(

I think everyone will agree however that whichever camera you go for - you will end up with a superb camera either way.

So much Canikon fanboy stroking in this thread....

C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!

(I feel dirty in this thread, but I like it...)

i'm settled on the Nikon D5000 but i'm lookin for how to ship it to Egypt,i found a couple of deal on Amazon but the shipment is only within US.

Most reactions

Back