A dumb question about making an online portfolio:

Nodetails

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

Does anyone know any rules / legal information for making an online portfolio with photos that people/newspapers have paid to use in their publications? For instance, would making an account at Flickr and posting these photos be a bad idea?

I'm trying to help out someone put their photos online and would like to know what legal issues to be aware of. Thanks.

In order to use photos anywhere (be it flickr, print, or whatever) you need to have the rights to do so. When a publication prints an image it either owns the picture wholly or has bought a license to use it. Reposting images from any print media would be a terrible idea, as it could easily break copyrights. The only caveat would be if that publication explicitly stated that their images were able to be distributed.

On the other hand, if you're helping someone post their photos online it's fine if they own the rights and they give you permission to do so.

It depends on the agreement on which you sold the photo.
I believe that in most cases you still own all the rights to the photo so you can do whatever you want with it.

Make very sure this is the case though because you could be screwed if the deal included full copyrights.
Usually this is the case when you're paid for an assignment rather than for a photo you've already made.

Don't take my advice as legally correct though, there's only so much I really know. I'm just a simple precision mechanic. :p

IANAL - I Am Not A Lawyer.

It depends who owns the copyright, and what, if any, use licensing terms were given to the people/newspapers that published the images in question.
The photographer may also need properly executed model/property releases for the images.

The photographer needs to consult with a qualified attorney rather than using a second seeking legal advice in an online photography forum.

Are Photographs Posted On the Internet Published? | Photo Attorney
When Someone Points the Finger At Someone Else for an Infringement. . . | Photo Attorney
“Photographer’s Legal Guide” Now Available for Kindle | Photo Attorney

Most reactions

New Topics

Back