a few bug shots!

250Gimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another bit of time to try to get to know my new lense! (100mm macro)

A couple typical Canadian bugs!!

1) Mosquito (You can see the blood sac as it eats my leg!!)

mosquito.jpg

2) Another mosquito with 68mm of extension tubes (No crop)

mosquito3.jpg

3) An ant in a pretty flower

Antinflower.jpg

I screwed up the next two of the bees because somewhere along the way I nudged my shutter speed down to 1/125th, so I had to crank up the exposure in RAW, hence the noise.

4) Bee in flight

beeinflight2.jpg

5) Bee flying again

beeinflight.jpg

All shots were hand held taken in manual mode with a 430EX flash with paper towel over it.

C&C apreciated.

Cheers

Wow, those shots of the bee were hand held? Nice. Did you just find a flower and watch it until a bee showed up?

Hi Brutus

I was taking shots of a spider and the bee came by so I decided to follow it a bit.

All of the shots were hand held. I don't think I could have followed the bee with the camera on a tripod

those bee shots are pretty cool. You can get rid of the noise with NeatImage or something simelair to that. It really helps with bug shots, the getting rid of the noise thing.

nice shots, the mosquitoes shots are cool and freaky!

Thanks doenoe & photo28!!

I will have to try the noise redction program! doenoe, do you recommend Neat Image?? I have no experience with these plug ins.

Cheers

well, neatimage is the program i use and im very happy with it. I tried the demo of Noise Ninja once, but that applied a grid on the photo (being a demo version) so i kinda uninstalled it instantly. The demo version of neatimage works great, but it only applies the noise reduction on a 1024x1024 piece of the picture. So, on webpictures it works great, since you dont make pictures for the web that big anyway. I bought a license for the program since i use it on the bigger pics now too.

Wow the mosquito shot is awesome!

Doenoe, thanks for the info. I will down load Neat Image soon to try it. Do you find that you loose sharpness when running it?

niforpix, thanks for the comment!

Cheers

nope, you can even sharpen a bit more while using NeatImage. So the background will lose the noise and the subject can get a bit more of sharpening if you want too (i usually do) You can set it in the "Noise filter"-tab, there you will see an option called "Sharpening amount"

Thanks for the info Doenoe, I downloaded the demo version to try out.

Now to find the time to get to it!!

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back