A few more from today

zombiemann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to reply to myself in order to post multiple photographs and be able to differentiate between them. The image attachment button doesn't seem to be working for me the way it used to.

First up are 2 versions of the same shot taken today at Lincoln's New Salem State Park. It is along a similar line as Colonial Williamsburg, with people in costume doing demonstrations of period appropriate activities like blacksmithing etc. Lincoln's New Salem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know they are a little over done, but to me they work.

Attachments

• $cabin-B&W.jpg
    $cabin-B&W.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 148
  • $cabin-color.jpg
    $cabin-color.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 170
This shot I need to make a few things clear or I'll hear about it. A, the window is not "blown out", it's filthy. I double checked visually that was the case when doing the exposures. B, I left it a little "under exposed" to help convey the feel of the place. The only light available was through the dirty window and the doorway I was standing in to take the picture. About an inch under the barrel of the lens was a fence to keep people out of the house itself, so I couldn't get a super good angle on it. Given what I was working with, I am happy with the results.

Attachments

• $IMG_5429And7more_tonemapped.jpg
    $IMG_5429And7more_tonemapped.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 168
And last but not least, a shot I am not 100% happy with but I have to share due to an interesting feature. This photo was taken in downtown Lincoln Illinois. It is a picture of city hall. Take a close look at the roof. There is something unusual there. I know WHY it is there, but I am wondering if anybody here can figure it out. Scouts honor, no googling it.$cityhall.jpg

The state park photos are a bit dark, even though that might be the mood you were trying to convey. The objective in HDR, in my opinion, is to have (or help) the viewer look around the photo and notice detail thru increased contrast range. Perhaps the light thru the window and on the wall might have gotten too bright?

The city hall shot seems fine to me except the tilt to the photo. Love the sky. I suppose Superman can get a jump-start from the phone booth on the roof??

Here is a revised version of the city hall shot. I guess I should not post late at night after a very long day. The weird tilt didn't even register last night, today I look at it and think "wow, what was I thinking posting that".

In regards to the others being dark, it's kind of what I was going for. The interior shot I was trying to get it as close to what my eyes saw as I could. I could have processed it differently and turned it into a much different image, but it wouldn't have been faithful to reality. To me that is what HDR is all about, not jumped up colors and contrast, but trying to make an image that represents what the viewer would see if they were looking at the scene. That is why I am not completely satisfied with the town hall shot

$cityhall2.jpg

BTW, you are close on the purpose of the phone booth. Not superman. I'll give it another day or so for other guesses and then will post the actual reason :)

It's always good to have a second pair of eyes to look at a shot.

I like the interior shot. It reveals a soft and quiet mood.

So if it wasn't Superman, was it Zombieman? :mrgreen: I'm sure has a bit more historical significance.

I don't know if "historical significance" is the right term lol. Just sort of a "huh, well that's different"

I decided to play around with the first one (the cabin) a bit more. Not sure I like it "better" but it does show more tonal range than my initial post

Attachments

• $cabin3.jpg
    $cabin3.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 154
^Edit is way better IMO. I like the City hall shot too.

Well, I guess nobody else is going to take the bait

Oh well. The purpose of the phonebooth on top of city hall was for weather spotters. During inclement weather they would have someone posted in the booth watching for signs of tornado activity to sound an alarm if needed. I feel sorry for the poor bugger that had to stand up there during a massive storm....

I am sorry I didnt even see this yesterday and I knew the answer anyway I really like the interior shot its like from a John Wayne movie or old western

Thanks guys. I have some more from that outing but I haven't gotten them ready to upload yet. Truth be told I was kind of wanting to see what reactions I got out of these to see if I should even bother posting them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back