A few new lens' please?

Vagabond Photos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you have any recommendations for a wide-angle lens, a wide-aperture "isolation" lens and perhaps another I'm also thinking of getting a lens with a lot more zoom. I know a lot of street photographers are of the mind set that taking a photo of a subject from too far away makes the photo seem distant but I think it would be useful sometimes, especially when I'm trying to catch something I see quickly and without anyone noticing me. I'm looking to diversify if you know what I mean. Right now I have a D80 Nikon Body and I'm using the stock lens for the D90. Its 18-105mm and f/3.8-f/22 VR. My price range is the issue here, I'm not sure how much I can afford to spend right now on lenses but I'm very interested in at least putting together a "to buy" list. Give me some options if you can because to be honest I'm not even sure how much these things could cost. If I have names I can start looking for them on ebay and craigslist.

THANKS SO MUCH!

I'd say get the 35mm f/1.8 if the D80 has a focus motor (or whatever you need for autofocus, I don't know Nikonspeak). It will give you the approximate FoV of a 50mm lens on a Full frame camera and it's a great walkaround lens that's easy to isolate subjects with.

You can go with two options, the 35mm f1.8, or the 55mm f1.8. Your camera can run both so its really up to you as said above the 35mm will give you about the focal of 50mm. Which would be perfect, and it also focuses faster because it has the internal motor, when the 55 requires a screw driven body.

35mm - $200
55mm- $130

The 35mm 1.8 I'd consider a "must have". On a Nikon crop body it's equiv to the standard nifty-fifty you'd get on a full frame. Very sharp, very fast, and decently priced at $199 or less.

thanks for the suggestions! How about a high zoom model now?

Most reactions

Back