A few pointers.......

$8481218361_c0e506ec7d.jpg

From what I can see in the smaller size, I like set up. I would crop some from the left and I would like a little more clarity in the ruins(?). It's a good start - a shot I'm not going to find anywhere around here.

very cool. Agree with Deeky throw the ruins on the left side of the rule of thirds in the crop and it will be a better image. Well done.

Nice. Good ruins, good light, good mist. Well seen, well shot.

There's a few things at the bottom of the frame that bother me. A little branch, which you should probably just clone out (if you had more stuff there, you might leave it in to give a sense of context, but a single branch just looks like an accident, dump it). There's also some shapes in the mist, which might be hills? trees? I can't tell the scale. I would either do a curves adjustment to this area to make them more obvious, creating a more direct sense of unknown objects lurking below in the mist, OR I would got the opposite way and push them down a little further into the mist. Right now they're sort of betwixt and between, to my eyes.

The sky is also a little.. something. I would experiment with pushing the saturation both up and down (to create a punchier blue, and a less punchy blue) to see if there was something I liked more. Maybe some curves adjustments here as well. I know we're looking at sky through mist, but it's somehow unsatisfying.

For the sake of good discussion, here's a quick edit I worked up. Darkened the ruins then masked. And a crop. Vertically the ruins are about cenetered, but for some reason it works for me here.

Take it for what it's worth:

8481218361_91e6a89600_oa by breckmiller, on Flickr

And, because it's what I do, here's a quick b&w:

8481218361_91e6a89600_ob by breckmiller, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks that, really helpful. I'm ashamed to say I didnt notice the twig in the shot untill i'd set it as a backdrop on my work pc. I'm going to blame viewing it on a laptop for that! And that crop makes much neater viewing, It removes some of the plane trials too. thanks for taking the time to show me.

Honestly, I think the black and white would look better with more contrast in the sky. Love the coposition though. Great shot.

Most reactions

Back