A few portraits for C&C

JNA Photo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few images taken within the last couple months. Please help out with some C&C...I am always looking to make improvements to my work.

Thanks for looking!!

1:
20100501-dsc_6480-edit-2.jpg

2:
20100501-dsc_6489.jpg

3:
20100501-dsc_6495-edit.jpg

4:
20100512-dsc_6597.jpg

#1 I love tattoos but this one should be photoshopped out
#2 Need better lighting and smaller aperture to make the background darker. Too blown in the background. Or comeback when the sun is nicer. But I love this shot.
#3 I like it. I wish she was a little to the right. I like the door knob and wish it didnt get blocked
#4 I am not sure about this one. I think you could have used bigger frame. Show his legs. Put him on the right sight of the frame.

Did you use your flash on the first one?

Next time when the background is that bright, meter your background instead of your model (your model will be very dark), then use flash to make your model brighter. By doing this your background wont be as harsh.

Next time when the background is that bright, meter your background instead of your model (your model will be very dark), then use flash to make your model brighter. By doing this your background wont be as harsh.

Good tip, thanks so much! I will definitely keep that in mind.

I might be harsh. But that's the way of life isn't it?...
No but seriously. It's nothing against you at all. I mean where would we be if we couldn't take contructive criticism.. right?

1st.

The hard and bright sky is very disturbing in this picture. The whole line going through her head just looks weird. +The line of shade in the lower left is also quite disturbing.
So the whole picture could be composited a lot better. (Maybey with the model in the middle of the picture?)
And the model looks very unnaturally lit.
The whole picture looks very flat and I'm sorry to say, dull.
(Sorry..)

2nd.

I don't have much to say here actually.
I like the kind of symmetric feel of it. The placing of the model. Her pose is nice.
I like that she is kind of overexposed.

One thing I'm noticing is that it seems like you have done a lot of post processing work on the model but not the area around her.

Cause she seems kind of magical and the contrasts are really nice. While the building around her seems more flat.

So I would maybe do some work in photoshop with that if I were you.

3rd.

This is probably my favorite picture. Very good use of colors. I like her pose and her face.
Good composition.

If I have to nitpick, then I'd have to say that her lower body looks more flat than her upper body.
It looks as is the light is a bit harsher on her lower body. It might just be that she's been neglecting to tan up her legs but anyways.

That was me nitpicking.. :greenpbl:

4th.

The focus is off, seems like it's on the railing and not the model.
And I'm not sure if I like the pose at all.
Maybe it would be better if he had his hands in his jeans-pockets and leaned in on the stone-fence thingy?

The color correction you've done looks alright though. I would maybe lower the contrast on his shirt. But other then that it's ok.

So overall, there are some stuff that could have been done better.
But just keep doing what you are doing, and suck in all the help you can get while you're at it!

Good luck!

@tommetass: Thanks for your comments...that is exactly what I am here for. I try to take everything from critiques that I can, whether they be positive or negative in nature...that is how I will improve!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back