A Few Questions for Freelancers...

JAW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

I hope something too similar hasn't already been posted here before (if so please post a link!).

I'm currently studying photography and journalism at university and for one of my modules I have to do a 'job study' which involves doing research into a chosen career path. I'm doing freelance photography, so I was wondering if any freelancers here could answer a few of the following questions?

Don't worry about answering them all - the ones in bold are the crucial questions:

1) How did you get into freelancing? What 'entry requirements' are there?

2) How many hours do you roughly work a week?

3) What's a typical day like?

4) How much job security do you have?

5) Are there any perks or bonuses?

6) How much job satisfaction do you get?

7) How much 'people skills' are required? Formal or informal relationship with colleagues/clients?

8) Are opportunities in this field increasing or decreasing? How competetive do you find it?

9) Are you satisfied with the amount you get paid in relation to amount of work you put in (& job satisfaction)?

10) Finally, any further advice for aspiring freelancers?

Any help you can give would be very much appreciated!!

Many thanks,
Jason

I'm a freelance sports and wildlife photographer. Based in England.

1) How did you get into freelancing? What 'entry requirements' are there?

I setup my company, took a loan, sorted out tax and insurance. Sent off e-mails printed business cards, shoot stock whilst I wait for jobs.

2) How many hours do you roughly work a week?

9-5 everyday, shooting stock, writing stuff (blogs, reviews etc), e-mails or on commissioned projects.

3) What's a typical day like?

I check the weather before I go to bed, if its good I'll head out a shoot all-day, depending on what I want to do either, go to spots I now or go to new ones.

If its bad weather, I'll do my e-mail, write reviews and call contacts.

4) How much job security do you have?

No.

5) Are there any perks or bonuses?

I get to do what I love.

6) How much job satisfaction do you get?

See answer to 5.

7) How much 'people skills' are required? Formal or informal relationship with colleagues/clients?

Massive, my business lives and dies in how I interact with people. Either on the phone or in person, if I say the wrong thing I'm sunk.

8) Are opportunities in this field increasing or decreasing? How competetive do you find it?

Decreasing, rapidly. Bloody competitive.

9) Are you satisfied with the amount you get paid in relation to amount of work you put in (& job satisfaction)?

Yes, I'm happy to be poor.

10) Finally, any further advice for aspiring freelancers?

Learn how to look like your drinking lots but actually your just getting the person your talking to drunk and stealing trade secrets.

Formatted, thanks so much for your response; it's much appreciated. Very useful and insightful. Lol at #10 too!

If there are any other freelancers here, it'd be great to hear your thoughts too!

Cheers! :)

Most reactions

Back