A few questions!

mamabear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am now trying to choose between the Canon 50D and Canon 40D. Is there much of a difference? I'm leaning toward the 40D since it's significantly cheaper. I'll be using it to do mostly newborn/family photography, and shots of my own little ones! I found one on Craigslist for $800, comes with grip and sigma 10-20mm f:3.5-4.5 ultra wide angle zoom lens. Do you think the 40D would be a good choice or is the 50D worth the extra couple hundred dollars?

Second question, lighting. Should I get a flash and bounce it or should I get a softbox? Winter is coming up quick and I'm afraid window light might not be enough. I know nothing about lighting because I've only used natural. If I get the 40D, can you reccomend a flash/softbox? Which one would be better for newborns? I'm not looking to spend too much on this, I just need a little kick since the natural lighting won't be enough.

TIA!

They are fairly similar, but the 50D has more pixels and has a newer processor. It also has a better LCD screen, although they are both 3".

: Digital Photography Review

I've heard several people say that they like the 40D better, because it doesn't have as much noise at higher ISO...but I'm not sure if that's true. The 50D has two higher ISO settings and 5 more megapixels, so if the noise levels are even, that's a victory for the 50D.

You can usually create 'better', more creative lighting with an off-camera light source...but you have to know how to use it. And when you say 'soft box'...you need to realize that a soft box is only the modifier that goes over a light...it's not the light itself. So should be saying something like you want to get a flash or studio strobe light, and then get a soft box or umbrella to go with it.

I use to bounce the flash light against the ceiling and I can obtain very natural pics. Your ceiling must be white of course. If you meet this requirement go for bouncing, it works veeery well.
However, it depends on what you have to do. For example this system works perfectly for isolating objects or portraits on white, but if you don't want a 255 white background maybe a soft box should come in hand.

They are fairly similar, but the 50D has more pixels and has a newer processor. It also has a better LCD screen, although they are both 3".

: Digital Photography Review

I've heard several people say that they like the 40D better, because it doesn't have as much noise at higher ISO...but I'm not sure if that's true. The 50D has two higher ISO settings and 5 more megapixels, so if the noise levels are even, that's a victory for the 50D.

You can usually create 'better', more creative lighting with an off-camera light source...but you have to know how to use it. And when you say 'soft box'...you need to realize that a soft box is only the modifier that goes over a light...it's not the light itself. So should be saying something like you want to get a flash or studio strobe light, and then get a soft box or umbrella to go with it.

Tested the 40D, own the 50D. Go for the 50, it's worth it. I didn't notice the difference in noise at higher ISOs between the models to a significant extent.

40D is a terrific camera, from my experience with it. I never owned the 50D, so I can't say if it's better enough to justify you paying more for what you plan to do with it. In your shoes, I'd say save the cash for other things (like lights/modifiers) and go with the 40D.

40D owner here. The only feature I like in 50D (40D do not have) is the micro focus adjustment.

....Winter is coming up quick and I'm afraid window light might not be enough.....
All light is natural light, the source doesn't matter.

It will depend what direction the window(s) faces. For ambient light photography, a north facing window gives pretty consistant light throughout the year.

East and west facing windows can give good light once each day, in the morning for east facing windows, and the evening for west facing windows.

South facing windows can be used mid-day in the winter. How effective the south facing window light will be is determined in part by your latitude since that affects how high in the southern sky the Sun is during mid-day.

Most reactions

Back