A few random shots (C&C)

sjluto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are a few more random shots from my recent outing with my new DSLR. I'm very much a beginner with this and don't know a whole lot about aperture, ISO, etc... I was just playing around to try and learn a little through trial and error. BTW, I didn't look at the ISO and didn't realize it was set so high. I figured it was defaulted. So I'm sure that played a big part in the quality of some of the pictures. Also, they were all shot in partly cloudy, outdoor conditions with my Canon Rebel XSi.

This one is very similar to one I posted earlier, but I kind of like it better. Was wondering what you all thought...
F/22
1/160 sec.
ISO 1600
Shutter Priority Mode
3521193006_6ee434dc32.jpg

Just a building on my city's historic main street
f/22
1/200 sec
ISO 1600
Normal Program mode (auto?)
3516971377_51a3632349.jpg

This is my least favorite... there is something that ruins it for me. Does it ruin it for you? I'd really like some opinions on how to improve it. I think it COULD be a good picture...
f/22
1/160 sec
ISO 1600
Shutter priority mode
3521184014_9c3deb07f4.jpg

I think that's a really good start there.

The first one is nice - I like your sun, details, color, and the shape of the two branches that look like huge reaching arms...kinda creepy, actually. Now, it's pretty typical also - everyone has a shot like this, but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it either.

I'm going to suggest you try to shoot in the morning or early evening without that harsh light - I think you'd get details without blowing out your highlights. See in the second one - you can't see the details in the white parts of the building. Too much bright midday sun - it's very hard to work with so the best thing is to just avoid it if you can.

That last one could do with a bit more contrast. I would see what bringing down the overall brightness a few notches and then adding in contrast would do for you. Also dialing back on the yellow-green might add more interest, but it might work as a B&W (hmm...or maybe chocolate/white instead...) as well.

EDIT: Should have read it! :O)

I think the first shot is really cool! Great pattern with the tree!

the first one suits my taste, i am digging the forms there, the others i don't care for. they are technically sound, but are content challenged. (no problem there if your new, but its something to think about.)

where is that last one ? i think i have been there.

I like the first one as well. The branches are interesting and I like the sun burst. The second one is nice too, but maybe (as someone said) it might be better in softer sunlight. I think it has potential. You might want to straighten it a bit too. It's pretty noticeable when you look at the side of the building. Picture #3: The thing I don't like about it is that you can see through the center of the building and there is a sign and a car (I think). I know it is a petty little detail, but it seems like something to be aware of.

Keep shooting and posting. You're off to a good start!

The first one is nice but it's a little to bright for me. I like the color of the building in the second photo but the light still seems a little too harsh to me. Also the building seems to be leaning. The 3rd photo is also too bright. Maybe it would look better during sunset when the lighting is more dramatic.

Good job though.

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to suggest you try to shoot in the morning or early evening without that harsh light - I think you'd get details without blowing out your highlights.
That's a great suggestion! Now I'm anxious to go at a different time of day... :)

That last one could do with a bit more contrast. I would see what bringing down the overall brightness a few notches and then adding in contrast would do for you. Also dialing back on the yellow-green might add more interest, but it might work as a B&W (hmm...or maybe chocolate/white instead...) as well.
I agree with the chocolate/white. I struggled with getting the colors right on this one. I liked it when I gave it a bit of a "vintage" look, but my hubby and brother out voted me. ;)

where is that last one ? i think i have been there.

It's in historic St. Charles, Missouri. The orginal capital city.

they are technically sound, but are content challenged.

What do you mean? Just not a great subject? Just wanting to clarify! I'm really loving the feedback everyone!

Picture #3: The thing I don't like about it is that you can see through the center of the building and there is a sign and a car (I think).

Ding, ding, ding! Jackpot! That's what ruined it for me. Though changing it to a chocolate/white color scheme helped a little...

So it sounds like I need to get some better lighting conditions? Are there settings on my camera I can change to appease that? Like I said, I'm really new. I'm pretty good with editing and such, but I would like to know how my camera settings can help the situation... :)

Thanks!

i love the first one. it reminds me of lord of the rings and the ents(walking trees). nice colors and composition

#1: I liked the tree you posted a few days ago much better. I am not entirely sure why. I think I'd either like to see more detail in the trunk/big branches, or have it silhouetted (sp?) more. I also see it as being a little to bright.

#2: I agree with linpelk on the buildings line. Needs to be straight, especially when it is so close to the edge. Neat building, I'd rather see some of the details on it.

#3: It's washed out. Add some contrast. Also agree about the sign in the doorway, and the car(?) on the right. I also don't care for it filling the frame like that. I think working a part of that building into a composition would be more interesting, or using the whole building as a smaller element. I am willing to bet neither were possible because of the surroundings.

Looking forward to your next set :thumbup:
David

Lol at the LOTR comment. I can kind of see that!

Bitter, thanks for the feedback. It's funny, when I uploaded the picture onto flickr, I feel like it lost a lot of detail. On PS I think the trunk and branches show a lot more detail... not really sure why. Maybe it's just because it's bigger. I also agree about the lighting. I feel like the fact that it is so brightly backlit caused me to lose a lot of the detail in the tree.

Personally, I was going for a cockeyed look on the building, but I'll have to crop it and look at it straight. Not sure, may just be a difference of opinion.

As for the third, I felt like it could have been so much better if I had had better surroundings. If the cabin were actually out in the middle of a field somewhere, there could have been some amazing things. But, since it's literally plopped smack in the middle of a parking lot, I had to get in close to avoid the cars, which I failed at completely doing. I hate the car and sign too. I really want to pick that little place up and put it somewhere else...

like the first one, the second i like the view of that building, never thought about shooting that view... as for the last one I think everyone else has said it, needs more contrast and better time composing the shot.. BTW I love shooting main street in old town st.charles, its a fun place to go, especially at sunrise, or sunset.

Personally, I was going for a cockeyed look on the building, but I'll have to crop it and look at it straight. Not sure, may just be a difference of opinion.

Heh...reminds me of something a professor once said to me. "If you are going to make it [cockeyed] MAKE IT [COCKEYED]! Either do it, or don't even bother!" Actually he drove this point home a number of times, inserting various adjectives in the [brackets]. Your pic demonstrates exactly what he meant. It's so close to straight, it looks off, rather than looking like you meant to do that. ;)

But, since it's literally plopped smack in the middle of a parking lot,
Thought so. What a shame. :meh:

I'll definitely take that advice to heart! It's times like these when I wish I'd have had some formal training. Like the rule of thirds, once I heard about that I feel like my photos made a complete 180. I guess I'll keep surfing the net, reading books, and posting on here!

It's in historic St. Charles, Missouri. The orginal capital city.

Lol, thats exactly what I thought. I didn't recognize the building, but thought it looked like something that would be in downtown St. Chuck (I used to live there, my parents still do).

I really like the tree one, I too thought that it looked like a giant set of arms reaching out.

Most reactions

Back