A few self portraits I enjoyed

Like I took some pictures of my boyfriends family at thanksgiving and ended up having to crop 100% of the ones of his parents because his mom is a little overweight ( but pretty ) so every one she saw she told me to crop. So it's just their heads. And they're not in the best of focus because I wasn't just focused in on their faces..I was taking some body shots.

see this....

11b0zsp.jpg

see i think it looks terrible : (

yeah, that would be a good idea, mainly i would let them position themselves how they feel comfortable then tweak them. start off with their vision then move them around a bit to make it fit you photography.
i have never done family portraits so im not exactly sure on that notion.

as far as shooting in manual goes, i used to just cheat, i'd snap a pic in auto mode and see what it set itself on, then use that as my starting point in trying to get my exposure and dof where i want it.

just experiment with it and go shutter happy, take as many pics as possible.
i would show up to the location about 30 min earlier than the family does just to snap some empty pics and get a feel for the lighting and possibly find some very background friendly areas. that way when they show up, you already have some locations picked out to position them at, and have a feel for the manual mode.

Great idea. I did do that before the last family I shot. I walked around and got some ideas. It really did help. But I did use auto. Everyone has liked them and she keeps telling people about me and they want to use me. I'm nervous!!

always focus on the faces, and try to avoid shooting into the sun, if she's self conscious about her body then i would do close ups. just cheesy stuff like getting him to kiss her on the cheek and things of that nature, that way they get the pics showing something more than just them smiling and has some emotion and character reflecting them.

then theres no worries about her not liking the rest of the pic.

and judging by your self shots, close ups shouldnt be a hard thing for you, yours came out nicely.

yes. i think im better at close up shots of people than further away esp big groups. that's intimidating.

yeah that would, bc then you stand no chance if they decide to turn against you and mob you. lol. i kid.

but just joke around with them and talk while your positioning them to make them more comfortable and relaxed.

and get candid shots of them while they are talking and moving around, sometimes those catch the true emotion of the person and a better smile.

but i'd give it another shot with the bf's parents, do it when you are over there on christmas, and put a mistletoe over his parents to get that special kiss. lol.

good luck to you, hope to see some of your work form the shoot.

lol, now that that conversation seems to be over i have to find something else to take my time up.
damn rain.

You are definitely model-quality gorgeous. I really like picture 1, but they're all very nice. I even like the blow-out look. There is a niche for that.

you should rename this thread and call it "Myspace Pictures"
pretty nice tho.

Most reactions

Back