a few shots...C&C welcome :)

ATXshots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, here is my first official C&C post. I found out after reading my manuel that my p&s camera has a macro setting...so, I tried it out. What do you think?

1. my cat Monroe
2986061037_95dc17ee4d.jpg

3010730393_e279e007b3.jpg

3. one thing I don't like about this one is the shadow...probably from me lol!
2986442025_769f688f66.jpg

okay...one more, just for fun...my dog Nisha :heart: (top) and her friend Mya.
3011585360_11205c8075.jpg

#1 is cute, i love cats.. but i cant give you an real CC, as its pretty much just a snap of a cat.
#2 a little to much flash for my liking... maybe bump the exposure down a touch in PP
#3 as you said I can see your shadow in the shot... not a good thing..
#4 same as #1

all in all, not bad shots... keep working at it. I'm just not really the type who likes the token "flower and pet shots" because they are very over done.. but we all gotta start somewhere

Okay...with number 1, I was trying to achieve the real close up effect. Not the 'snap-shot' effect. Not sure quite how to explain it...I'll look for a photo on here, then maybe you could give me some tips?

#2 I really liked, but I see what you mean about being too bright. I didn't use a flash...maybe too bright outside? I will work on it in photoshop.

Yeah, 3 was just a snapshot :)

all in all, not bad shots... keep working at it. I'm just not really the type who likes the token "flower and pet shots" because they are very over done.. but we all gotta start somewhere
I know...I agree...but THAT is where I have trouble LOL. Finding stuff to take photos of that isn't done everyday!

Last edited:
What is up with the distinct pattern on kitty's chin, perhaps on the right as well?

Dogs look like they are making puppies! Maybe not this years holiday card :lol:

-S

P.S. - Say hi to Manuel for me!

What is up with the distinct pattern on kitty's chin, perhaps on the right as well?

hmm...don't know if I see it. I did a lot (of effects?) in photoshop maybe thats what your seeing?

-S

P.S. - Say hi to Manuel for me!

OMG I never even thought of that! Well, there both girls thank goodness.

Last edited:
when you say you were trying to achieve really up close shots, are you referring to macro??? the edit on #2 isnt to bad.. the colors look much better...

as for finding stuff thats not "everyday" a friend of mine who took photography in school taught me something crucial when I first started... he said, don't ever put the cap on your lens, it could mean the difference in a million dollar shot, and well.. nothing.. in fact, the course he was in, they were forbade to put a cover on the lens... i know there will be people here who have a problem with this, but if you have a lens hood, your lens will be safe. i take my camera everywhere, and thats how i get the "not your every day shots" i take pictures of anything and everything.. then when i get home if it doesnt make me go :eek: i delete it.

when you say you were trying to achieve really up close shots, are you referring to macro??? the edit on #2 isnt to bad.. the colors look much better...

as for finding stuff thats not "everyday" a friend of mine who took photography in school taught me something crucial when I first started... he said, don't ever put the cap on your lens, it could mean the difference in a million dollar shot, and well.. nothing.. in fact, the course he was in, they were forbade to put a cover on the lens... i know there will be people here who have a problem with this, but if you have a lens hood, your lens will be safe. i take my camera everywhere, and thats how i get the "not your every day shots" i take pictures of anything and everything.. then when i get home if it doesnt make me go :eek: i delete it.

Thanks for the advice! And yes, macro is what I was attempting to do.

Ok, so you probably overlaid a pattern via filter exploration. I encourage exploration and getting the filters out of your system... explore all the menus and probe the help to guide you along.

The edit appeals to the high contrast aesthetic in me, but the over saturation, well a lot of what we do in PS takes the ranges right off the chart and I like to dial them back by turning the saturation back down to more natural values. Explore curves and levels more than brightness and contrast, channel edits, etc.

BTW - I thought the sky came out pretty good in the original shot. It can be tricky metering outdoors! EXIF data stripped :confused: - in case you don't know this is how we can potentially look at your exposure settings and such, AKA metadata.

Stomach is talking to me, better get moving.

-Shea

Thanks Shea...just getting used to photoshop! How come when I do 'auto levels' nothing happens? It always looks the same to me!

If the histogram* is already fairly uniform then auto levels will not do much. I would not do much 'auto' anything (I confess to running auto color as an experiment sometimes to analyze tricky color cast) and instead try to understand the use of the various controls.

Some of the classics are a soft S shape in the curve editor, or adjusting the mid point slider in levels, or even cranking on the ends for black and white point adjustments (careful there).

I will often visit curves and levels a few times, balancing tonal range, contrast and mid level values searching for the sweet spot.

Sorry if you have to look up a few terms I'm dropping, but it is much easier than learning spanish IMO. :)

Ha ha! Thanks....I will have to look up a few things, but I don't mind. I love the curves adjuster! What exactly does it do though? How do I learn all the technical stuff on PS? I have taken TONS of tutorials, but they don't really get to the nitty gritty stuff ;)

I have played with the levels controller and the black/white point....(never used it, don't really know how). Is there a book you recommend? I assume you can look at a photo and know what adjustments you need to make? Or do you just play around till you get what you want?

Glad I wasn't the only one that saw this. :) (you sicko!!!) :)

Most reactions

Back