A First of Sorts

GoM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As I've said in a couple of my threads somewhat in passing...I have a friend of mine. Who just moved into an apartment with their boyfriend, boxes everywhere...I figure...even at our young age (20), a small housewarming gift would be in order as they are some of my closest friends, so I figured...instead of getting them cups or dishes or something boring, I'd give them a print or two of mine. I was going to surprise them with some that I thought I'd like..but..

Rather than that, she came over tonight and took a look at some of my images...found one she liked, and her boyfriend'll come over on the weekend and pick one of his own (obviously, mutually accepted ;)).

Obviously, as it's a gift, I'm not getting paid, in fact I'm paying. And it is a gift. But I don't care. Never had anything even remotely closed to printed before...so even this is a big first.

And it feels great.

The hobby becomes the passion...

Congrats! I think I know how you feel. This year at Christmas I took some prints over to my sister's house. I have 5 brothers and two sisters. I took 8 shots, framed them, let my Father pick first and then by age down the line. Feels good.

When invited to a friend's birthday some time last year in summer, I decided to get a good (expensive!) frame for one of my New York pics (in fact the one that can be found in my interview -> front page -> link), have that one enlarged (worked a treat even with that photo taken with the Powershot!) ... and so now my photo is hanging on his wall :D. Looks good and feels good! :D

And I had to grow more than twice as old as you are, GoM, to get there :D. (But my calendars have been at other people's places for a little longer, though the person who put my latest - for 2006 - into his guest bathroom did not get any from me for 2007 ;)).

Cheers for the replies, guys (and gals)

I think that's a new tradition for anyone I know moving into their own place, now ;)

... as it's a gift, I'm not getting paid...

I sell photos both as fine art for personal enjoyment, and commercial use. I make a lot more money when I sell them for commercial use, but I feel more proud that someone would want one of my photos hanging in their home. That they enjoy the photo is worth more than the money to me. If they are an artist or photographer who I really respect it's priceless.

Congratulations. I've been on both sides of that equation: I've given prints, and had them very warmly welcomed. I have also received a print, which has become a favorite image in our house.

I sell photos both as fine art for personal enjoyment, and commercial use. I make a lot more money when I sell them for commercial use, but I feel more proud that someone would want one of my photos hanging in their home. That they enjoy the photo is worth more than the money to me. If they are an artist or photographer who I really respect it's priceless.

Yeah, exactly...I was telling my friend last night, to find something that she liked and would want hanging in her home, and if not, then we'd find something online. It would obviously mean a bit more if it was one of mine, but irregardless of that, she found something she loved independant of our knowing each other. Which is freakin sweet, to quote Peter Griffin :).

Most reactions

Back