ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is quoted from the locked thread at the top of this part of the forum

"It has come to our attention recently that a good number of threads are getting bumped down the list very quickly due to repeated posting by the same users. While we absolutly cherish every post we get(except chases:p), we would rather like to see any important threads kept current and, if at all possible, reply to your own posts instead of creating new ones. I dont mean to be a hardass, i love you all, but we gots to do what we gots to do."

Obviously folks can't post all the pic they'll ever post in one thread, but when you're posting a bunch of photos in the same week they could all go in one thread.

And just to make my post legit, I'll post an old one from my Photo 101 days.

The Prediction
339%3B%3B59523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D6%3A4%3D%3A83%3DXROQDF%3E232348%3A%3C48764ot1lsi

Ricoh KR-5 w/50mm
Tmax 400

Thanks for the reminder, Matt, I was thinking the same but didn't quite know if it was my "task" to speak up.

I love your photo!
Bit busy background, but that's how things were at the time, right?

great job matt, way to refresh everyone's memory...

nice shot too!!

md

interesting photo :D

i've noticed that as well .. maybe some people need more validation than others :roll:

I like being more organized than that

Control freak. :wink:

Matt, great little moment captured! We just had a thread about naming images; this is one of those cases where having a title completes it, IMO of course. It instantly made me smile. Good job! :D

Shark said:
Maybe it's the neat-freak in me, but I don't like seeing one post with 3 or 4 totally different types of photos in it. I like being more organized than that. :D

I find it much more organized to see peoples' work organized under the photographer. To me the related theme is the photographer themselves. Considering that I'm on the forum looking/reading posts everyday, I found it wild that this morn when I got on there were two pages of new postings in the Photo Gallery.

To be honest, Shark, while I would have looked at all of your photos had they been posted in one or two posts, I skipped a bunch this morning because the list was too long.

Also, I think that the reason for multiple pics in one post is to keep peoples' stuff from bouncing off the front page too quickly. Once you get knocked off the first page, that post may be lost in the depths of the forum.

LaFoto said:
Bit busy background, but that's how things were at the time, right?

I agree about the background being too busy. It looks better as a larger size (like 8x10+). This was back in the day when I had one camera and one lens, and was just starting to learn about DOF (the little girl is my sister who is about to turn 17). This was taken on the docks in Key West; the real trick wasn't simplifying the background, it was keeping folks from walking through the foreground!

ksmattfish said:
Also, I think that the reason for multiple pics in one post is to keep peoples' stuff from bouncing off the front page too quickly. Once you get knocked off the first page, that post may be lost in the depths of the forum.

This is really the driving factor that leads us to request grouping multiple photos in a single post where appropriate. If we have just 3 or 4 people that each create 3 or 4 new posts with various pictures, that will fill up the first page pretty quickly. That makes it less and less likely that older posts will be viewed or get the attention they deserve.

I don't see this as a huge issue right now, but it becomes more important as our membership increases. Don't feel you have to put everything into one post, but as often as you feel is appropriate, please try to group them together.

Thanks!
Chase

ksmattfish said:
I found it wild that this morn when I got on there were two pages of new postings in the Photo Gallery.
To me that says it's a happenin' board. I'd much rather see that than come in once a day and see two or three new posts.

To be honest, Shark, while I would have looked at all of your photos had they been posted in one or two posts, I skipped a bunch this morning because the list was too long.
I put up four. The front page holds 21 threads. :? I don't even consider four "a bunch", much less skipping "a bunch" of those. I'm just confused I guess.

Chase said:
Don't feel you have to put everything into one post,

But that's what we're being told to do.

but as often as you feel is appropriate, please try to group them together.

In my mind, that's what I do. For example, I put up some photos taken in Chicago. I didn't make 3 separate threads of "Look at Chicago photo #1", "Look at Chicago photo #2", etc., but stuck them in one thread. Then I put up 2 bird photos in a separate thread, because birds and chicago don't go together. That's logical and makes sense.

I guess I'm just seeing some contradiction here in what we're being told to do. Just to play devil's advocate, should I instead wait and make one post a month or once every couple weeks with 20 photos in it? If that happened, I bet there would be several photos that didn't get any comments. :scratch: :irked:

I don't think you over do it and I believe your choices on creating new threads have been pretty good. For a while it seemed like we had a couple of people that would be creating 4, 5, 6 posts a day each with maybe 1 or 2 photos max. It gets out of control when it is like that.

In your case, it wouldn't make sense to post a picture of something in your aquarium along with a B&W shot of a cityscape...so definitely don't feel like those should be combined. But, if you had some various scenic work, maybe a sunset and a city scape, I can see combining those into a more general post.

In any case, I'm definitely not going to play forum cop when it comes to this sort of thing. Well, ok, maybe if I am feeling feisty I'll just ban you if you cross the line! :fangs: But, rest assured, I don't get feisty very often! :lol:

Sorry Shark, I didn't mean to single you out. I got to all your pics eventually; I just don't want to miss any!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back