A Glimpse of Freedom

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I recently returned from a week long mission trip to San Diego, CA and Tijuana, Mexico. On my last day in Mexico, we did a "border tour" and went to various sites along the border and talked a lot about immigration issues. While we were there I snapped the following picture:

8571182666_5c90bc8f7e_b.jpg

This picture has quickly become one of my favorites and I don't really know why. It is so simple, but brings up so many emotions. If I didn't know what this was a picture of, it would have no purpose. It is, afterall, just a fence. The fact that I know that this is the border, makes me see it entirely different. I first thing I notice in this shot is the rust. The rust immediately makes me think of the age of the fence and all the history involved with that spot. I think of all the people who have peeked through that hole to catch a glimpse of the U.S. and the freedoms that we have. I think of those who have maybe tried crossing the border at that spot, and the families they are leaving behind and the difficulties they will have in the future.

Like I said, I know it is a simple picture, but it has grown to become one of my favorites. What are your thoughts? Am I looking too far into this?[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

I see it as just the opposite. The dof set on the fence and out of focus background gives me the feeling of being locked in b/c of the emphasis on the fence. If it were the opposite and I could see the "freedom", that feeling might have been evoked.

I did take one a little further down the fence, but I really didn't like how that turned out at all so I pretty much scrapped it.

8571208046_bc24b2e736_b.jpg

Aside from the fence being crooked to keep a strait horizon, the U.S. side looks awful and not someplace that I would want to go. Also, the composition of this shot was pretty bad IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back