A glimpse of July in Northern Ireland

Becky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As many of you will know, Northern Ireland is famous for 'the troubles'; that is the sectarian battle between Catholics and Protestants. The Battle of the Boyne is still a widely celebrated historical event in Northern Ireland, viewed as a key moment in the struggle between Catholic and Protestant interests. Regardless of how it was or how it is now... the Battle of the Boyne is seen by many in this light.

A nearby town to my village, Larne, has several bonfires in various locations, which are lit on 'the eleventh night' (midnight 12th July). They basically involve a huge number of people partying around an insanely big fire. Violence is typical and even murder has occurred.

These are notoriously Protestant celebrations, though perhaps not quite so threatening as in years gone by. Around this time of year certain residential areas are adorned with union jack flags amongst others. The bonfires are assembled in a circular form of stacked wooden pallets with a whole lot junk in the centre; sofas and bed mattresses are not uncommon! The building process seems to begin around mid June with the collecting of materials and today the bonfires stand semi-built, guarded by fully grown men and youngsters alike. I was quite taken aback by seeing a very young boy patrolling around a bonfire site in a yellow security type vest as if it were some officially organised event. I didn't even risk a photo.

I drive past this stuff nearly every day, it really only occurred to me this morning how crazy it all must seem. Its not something I part-take in or fight against, I'm just aware its something thats always there. I took a wander near some of the sights today, and decided on this as a general theme for some photos, mainly to give my new camera a test run. I got some pretty risky looks and didn't feel too safe...

test1.jpg

02copy.jpg

03copy.jpg

04copy.jpg

05copy.jpg

fix06.jpg

07copy.jpg

8. A strategically located bonfire, right next to a childrens play area :grumpy:
08copy.jpg

9. About 3 stories high and no signs of stopping...
09copy.jpg

love the selected colouring and that sky in the 4th shot works really well in B&W

can't get over how big those bonfires are! I mean 3 stories, thats bigger than any of the houses around here

Wow I can't believe how large those bonfires are either. Wow.

I really like the perspective in the 5th. The whole series is very interesting.

Personally I think it's all pretty pathetic and the images fill me with sorrow that we still live in a society full of hatred.

Agreed... this post wasn't about my opinions, they're pretty much the same as yours... it was about the photos.

The photos are great. I don't know anything about photography, but I like those.

Agreed... this post wasn't about my opinions, they're pretty much the same as yours... it was about the photos.

Sorry Becky I didn't comment on the images because I couldn't. That does not make them bad (if you see what I mean :) )

very nicely done.
The selective colouring just brings out the emotion in the imagines.
Thank you for sharing!

I love the selective coloring... great images. Wonderful job!

Most reactions

Back