A good beginners book

photonewbie23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
looking to buy a book that would help me understand photography with a dslr a bit better what do you guys recommend ? im thinking about getting scott kelbys digital photography.

Scot Kelby's Digital Photography boxed set
Bryan Peterson's Understanding Expousre

To be honest, I read one book on photography, for a class. Other than that I've used online resources. There are some sets of YouTube tutorials and such that will give you a visual walk through on how to use a DSLR.

Here are a few places I've learned a lot from over the years

Adorama TV

FroKnowsPhoto

Gavin Hoey

LearnMyShot

Just to name a few. I'm just throwing it out there that either instead of, or in addition to a good book, these resources could be helpful! I believe all of these people/companies have web sites with more information.

I highly recommend what MLeek mentioned

Thanks guys I just ordered Scott kelbys and I'll look into the understanding exposure one as well

I've been shooting since the late 1970's... but I bought Bryan Peterson's book to see what all the fuss was about. I didn't want to recommend a book just because everyone else says it's good... I wanted to see it for myself. It is actually a very good book. I was able to appreciate that he was careful to explain concepts in terms that everyone would probably be able to understand.

I haven't looked at Kelby's books.

Another great book is Michael Freeman's "The Photographer's Eye - Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos". Although, as the title states... it's really about composition and design. So it's a more geared toward intermediate levels and assumes you've already understand the basics of exposure.

Photography is a blending of both artistic and technical control and creativity.

If you haven't already, for learning the basic concepts, terminology, and an introduction to some more advanced topics visit - Digital Photography Tutorials

Most reactions

New Topics

Back