A good shot of a stump.. I think

I'm not being facetious, just curious with this question:

Why do you as the artist think it's a good shot of a stump?

Focus is good, exposure might be a little hot but not bad, nice context with the OOF background... it's got some technical things right going for it, but I'm curious to hear from you what you think of your own image.

I'm kinda newbie myself but here goes: IMHO technically its quite good but i think it could become a little more interesting if the stump were considerably in different colour than the water. And overall saturation might be higher as well. That way the stump would stand out more. Just a thought... :)

Good question Rufus. The image reminds me of my own life. Though the main part of its life is gone, it still clings onto its foundation. The root system is embedded into the ground like it was holding on for dear life. The background, the water, is lurking and waiting for its next chance to beat on the stump. The weathering of the stump shows a massive wear from the water. I like the coloration of the shot and main focus on the sumbject without any clutter around it. Just my feel on the shot. It may not transfer to others, but maybe there is someone out there that get this feeling when looking at it.

Thanks for the comment

it could be called ART,,I do these things at time also,,people go crazy over it

Good question Rufus. The image reminds me of my own life. Though the main part of its life is gone, it still clings onto its foundation. The root system is embedded into the ground like it was holding on for dear life. The background, the water, is lurking and waiting for its next chance to beat on the stump. The weathering of the stump shows a massive wear from the water. I like the coloration of the shot and main focus on the sumbject without any clutter around it. Just my feel on the shot. It may not transfer to others, but maybe there is someone out there that get this feeling when looking at it.

Thanks for the comment

Nice description... I didn't get that from looking at the photo, but you're already WAY ahead of most photographers at understanding what you are trying to achieve.

I think if you would have framed it at a more awkward angle, with more of attention on the "clinging" roots, you'd may have better pulled off what you were going for.

I am a sucker for toned images. I think this photo is a little flat because of the lighting. Comp is great. But if you had shot it so it wasnt the same tone as the background then I think you would have a more visually impacting photograph. Try running it through photoshop and warming it up a little bit, or perhaps a split tone?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back