A good start to travel photography?

TheBromad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know that a good obvious start would be to travel but how do you go about being published in Magazines and things of that nature? Along the lines of photography jobs in general, what sort of jobs can be obtained with a photography talent other than making money for yourself? Just so I have a general idea of what potential hirers look for in a portfolio.

..., what sort of jobs can be obtained with a photography talent other than making money for yourself?
Making money is the real talent. Do you know what the difference between a professional photographer and a large pizza is? The large pizza can feed a family!

If you have aspirations of being paid to travel and photograph exotic locations, all I can say is, "Good luck!" You (seriously) have a better chance of winning the lottery or being struck by lightening. Most travel photography these days is either stock, shot with someone's iPhone, or done on spec. Unless you are the 'one-in-a-million' photographer, there's very little opportunity to make money in photography outside of retail & commercial work. Most of the few people who are making money in photojournalism are also reporting as well, so maybe consider throwing a journalism degree into the tickle-trunk before getting too carried away.

Research, research and more research. Pick publications that are in your field of interest, and study, STUDY!!, the photos and the photo sets in those publications (print or net).
Take photos that you feel would fit and submit them to the publication.
It's the same process if you're a writer.
Understand there are probably 500 people doing exactly the same thing so you have to be better at providing what that pub wants.
If you're an "ARTIST" and taking photos your way then take a different path.

..., what sort of jobs can be obtained with a photography talent other than making money for yourself?
Making money is the real talent. Do you know what the difference between a professional photographer and a large pizza is? The large pizza can feed a family!

If you have aspirations of being paid to travel and photograph exotic locations, all I can say is, "Good luck!" You (seriously) have a better chance of winning the lottery or being struck by lightening. Most travel photography these days is either stock, shot with someone's iPhone, or done on spec. Unless you are the 'one-in-a-million' photographer, there's very little opportunity to make money in photography outside of retail & commercial work. Most of the few people who are making money in photojournalism are also reporting as well, so maybe consider throwing a journalism degree into the tickle-trunk before getting too carried away.
Do you have suggestions to other fields that hire photographers? I just want need a goal to work towards and can't figure it out lol

...Do you have suggestions to other fields that hire photographers? I just want need a goal to work towards and can't figure it out lol
Like I said the only two fields where you stand any more than a snowball's chance are (1) Retail (family portraiture, headshots, etc; and (2) Commercial (advertising, fashion, etc). All of the big "money makers" such as stock andPJ are pretty much gone.

Do you have suggestions to other fields that hire photographers? I just want need a goal to work towards and can't figure it out lol
If I were you I would look into another industry, I'm in construction and at the moment you can make big money if you know what you are doing

Understand there are probably 500 people doing exactly the same thing so you have to be better at providing what that pub wants.

This is so wrong, there are probably 5000 or even 50,000 who are doing the exact same thing.

This is so wrong, there are probably 5000 or even 50,000 who are doing the exact same thing.
So then it looks like I have some work to do. If people stopped trying because someone told them that what they're trying to accomplish is too hard, well then I guess the world would be a pretty shitty place lol

So then it looks like I have some work to do. If people stopped trying because someone told them that what they're trying to accomplish is too hard, well then I guess the world would be a pretty shitty place lol
With digital photography is getting easier so everyone thinks they can buy a camera and make money, stick round till Christmas and see how many threads we get about starting a photography business

I'd like to quote someone I know well and respect a great deal for his intelligence and common sense:

Yes, but that really isn't the point.

Plenty of people have gone from amateur to pro in all sorts of endeavors with nothing more than a little vision and a lot of determination.

But on your issue, getting into any business, there are certain questions you must ask - or expect to fail
  • is there a market?
  • Is the market stagnant or growing and is it underserved in a way that would benefit new businesses?
  • is there current competition and how can I beat them? and
  • what is the barrier to entry for other competitors?
................................................................................................................................
The availability of cheap but smart cameras and lenses and the virtual total lack of controls in the trade means that there is no barrier to entry.
Someone who buys/gets a camera now, hoping to be in business, is looking to develop both skills and a customer base in the face of enormous competition from equal or more skilled people.
That kind of thing may be OK for someone who doesn't look at this as a prime means of support but more of a part-time job that buys some equipment.
If that's the way you want to spend your off hours, struggling for bucks in the face of increasing cheaper competition, go for it.
But recognize the situation.

I have travelled a good deal and write about it for myself.
I looked into writing for publications and could never get anything placed - for money.
A few small publications were interested in getting stuff 'for the exposure' but most of the time publishers wanted specific work and they wanted to work with people that they knew.

With digital photography is getting easier so everyone thinks they can buy a camera and make money, stick round till Christmas and see how many threads we get about starting a photography business
I'd like to quote someone I know well and respect a great deal for his intelligence and common sense:

Yes, but that really isn't the point.

Plenty of people have gone from amateur to pro in all sorts of endeavors with nothing more than a little vision and a lot of determination.

But on your issue, getting into any business, there are certain questions you must ask - or expect to fail
  • is there a market?
  • Is the market stagnant or growing and is it underserved in a way that would benefit new businesses?
  • is there current competition and how can I beat them? and
  • what is the barrier to entry for other competitors?
................................................................................................................................
The availability of cheap but smart cameras and lenses and the virtual total lack of controls in the trade means that there is no barrier to entry.
Someone who buys/gets a camera now, hoping to be in business, is looking to develop both skills and a customer base in the face of enormous competition from equal or more skilled people.
That kind of thing may be OK for someone who doesn't look at this as a prime means of support but more of a part-time job that buys some equipment.
If that's the way you want to spend your off hours, struggling for bucks in the face of increasing cheaper competition, go for it.
But recognize the situation.

I have travelled a good deal and write about it for myself.
I looked into writing for publications and could never get anything placed - for money.
A few small publications were interested in getting stuff 'for the exposure' but most of the time publishers wanted specific work and they wanted to work with people that they knew.
So networking and getting yourself out there would be a good start?

Learning how to take really terrific pictures no matter what the situation is first.
In a tough market, you may get one look and if your pictures and text aren't terrific, you are dead.
In Feb. I met a French publisher who had contracted for a book with this photographer who had been back to upper Myanmar eight times to get enough good pictures to illustrate the book.
The photographer travelled with lots of gear and his stuff was pretty damn good, imo.
In terms of quality better than mine no doubt.

Even Nat Geo photographers are making most of their income from courses and tours.

Most reactions

Back