A good starter lens for the Canon Rebel Xti

Matt 181

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to know what is a good starter lens for the Canon Rebel Xti. I just got my canon rebel xti the other day.

Didn't you get the 18-55 kit lens with it? That would be an ideal starter lens.

There are certainly better lenses...so what's your budget?

depends on your budget, I recommend the 50mm F1.8 and the 28-135 IS.

yup.. just as mike said.

A great starter lens is whatever you already have. If you are itchin to spend a little money, you can't beat the 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4).

Yes, I have the kit lense, but i can only do so much with it. My budget is around 300.

I went with the canon EF-S 17-85mm IS lens. The EF-S is designed for digital cameras and i am very happy with it.. my next lens will be the 50mm F/1.8 though so i think either would be great.

definitely the 50mm 1.8. can't beat the speed for the price. having a fast lens is provides so much creative freedom. You can take pictures in a lot of spots that most people won't even think of. Plus, you won't have to raise the ISO like all the people around you with point and shoot cameras. you'll get crisp clean pictures even in low light.

Once you get some shots in with the 50mm, you should look at a QUALITY telephoto zoom. But that gets a bit expensive...

Once you get some shots in with the 50mm, you should look at a QUALITY telephoto zoom. But that gets a bit expensive...

But... wouldn't that depend on what kind of shots he wants to take? A quality super-wide zoom might be equally useful.

As Usayit said... "So what about the kit lens is preventing you?"
Is it the fact that it only goes as far as 55mm? Or the fact that it only goes as wide as 18mm? Is it the image quality shooting at large apertures? The image quality overall? The aperture being too small for low-light work? In other words, you say you can only do so much... let us know what you can't do with it, and we can help recommend something that will enable you to fill that requirement.

When I started, I was using my XT and 18-55 kit. Other than that, I was bumming a Canon 75-300 USM II from my brother-in-law. If I were starting out, that's what I'd do again. In fact, let me tweak that.

I'd buy the 50mm 1.8 (79 bucks from B&H) and the Canon 75-300 USM III lens (159 for the US version from B&H) for my bag. Then you're looking at under $240 for 2 more lenses.

The 75-300 will get you a heckofalotta range, and the quality is pretty good (don't stone me yet) as long as you're not comparing it to the L series lenses. However, I've found that the quality/range is definitely worth the $159 especially starting out. I shot some portraits of my company's executives with that lens, and those pics have replaced the pictures taken by studios. The 75-300 will give you a sense of range, so in the future you can later decide if you need something nicer. Maybe wide shooting is your cup of joe.

As for the 50mm 1.8, just read the previous posts. This is a lens that everyone's gotta have. However, here are some specs. I just hooked up my lenses, and here are the shutter speeds in pointing at a box on the floor. with the 18-55 zoomed to 50mm, I was at aperture 5.6, and shutter speed was 1/4 second. However, with the 50mm 1.8 lens, I was at aperture 1.8, and my shutter speed was 1/40 second. It's amazing how useful this can become.

If you have a big budget, then maybe a 17-85 IS, and a Canon/Sigma 70-200 would work well. But then you're looking at well over $1000. What IS your budget?

With a budget around $300 that doesn't leave you a lot of room to get really good glass but there are some decent all purpose lenses that fit into that category.

Just keep in mind that no one can recommend a lens to you perfectly. Everyone has their own shooting styles including you. If you are just getting started you might not even know what yours is yet. But I guarantee that as you shoot with your kit lens or whatever else you decide to get you will be wishing for different things.

My recommendation would be to use the kit lens and of course pick up a 50mm f/1.8. Canon's cheapest lens and you just can't beat it for the price.

Keith had an excellent recommendation on the 75-300. Its not a great lens but it will get you through. I am currently saving up to get a Sigma 70-200 to replace mine.

If you couple the 75-300 with your kit lens and a 50mm you should be pretty set to help you figure out what you are lacking in your bag. I had this set up for a long time. But I realized that I wanted a lens with a more versatile range because I kept finding myself in situations where I needed just a little bit more zoom but couldn't safely change lenses. Thats why I added the 28-135 IS USM. Good luck.

I dont see how anyone can give a recommendation in good faith without knowing specifically why the kit lens is not good enough?

things I've learned working in camera sales:
number one: Listen to the customer and what they have to say. Reiterate the concerns/questions to validate that you two are on the same page. No matter how long it takes for them to describe their situation, always listen fully.

number two: Try to determine what they are trying to accomplish. Ask yourself, do they have the necessary equipment to accomplish such task? Do they just need direction? or do they need both?

number three: Direct them with recommendations and explain the reason behind the recommendations. Try to get more conversation flowing. Get them on your side.

When they return to the store, strike up conversation about their previous visit.

I try to follow the same routine here... hence my question... What about the current camera/lens is preventing what you want to accomplish?

I dont see how anyone can give a recommendation in good faith without knowing specifically why the kit lens is not good enough?

things I've learned working in camera sales:
number one: Listen to the customer and what they have to say. Reiterate the concerns/questions to validate that you two are on the same page. No matter how long it takes for them to describe their situation, always listen fully.

number two: Try to determine what they are trying to accomplish. Ask yourself, do they have the necessary equipment to accomplish such task? Do they just need direction? or do they need both?

number three: Direct them with recommendations and explain the reason behind the recommendations. Try to get more conversation flowing. Get them on your side.

When they return to the store, strike up conversation about their previous visit.

I try to follow the same routine here... hence my question... What about the current camera/lens is preventing what you want to accomplish?

It sounds like he's just beginning, and trying to figure out where to go from here. He'll probably need to start with a cheap long zoom, just so he can see what it's like, and what type of pictures he can take. With multiple focal lengths, he'll soon figure out what his style is, and can narrow it down, or even broaden it, from there.

I was in the same boat last summer when I first got my XT. Had the kit lens, but wanted to explore possibilities. After using the 75-300, I found I used that a whole lot, and enjoyed taking close-ups of things. Then, a few months later I purchased my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 because I realized I 'needed' the aperture.

Not all of us can make it with only a 1200 f/5.6 and a Ferrari :drool:

Oh, and I do agree with the fact that he should let us know more specifics about what he's wanting. In fact, I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned, usayit. Just saying that I was asking the same question a year ago.

Most reactions

Back