A Greeting As Well As A Question!

bznsharkie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody my name is Geoff and I had the pleasure of discovering this forum today. I became interested in photography 5 years ago when I bought a Canon Rebel 2000 camera kit with a 28-80mm lens. I shot with that camera, as well as a 28-200mm Tamron lens, and a 100mm Canon macro lens. My interest in photography was off and on until recently. Now I am going to shoot with the equiptment I have, but chances are if everything goes well I will be investing in a digital SLR this summer.

Now I have a question, first of all I have to choose one camera to take with me back to school, now I have to choose between amy Canon Rebel 2000, and my fathers (now mine) older EOS Elan (the original), so which would be a better camera for progressing as a photographer.

I look forward to spending some time here in the future!

Hi Geoff and welcome. I'd probably favour the one which feels better. Both will help you progress as a photographer. Maybe consider a 50mm f1.8 as well! :)

Rob

I am going to wait to get anymore lenses until I get my dslr (probably a nikon) so I can be sure to get the correct lens. But the EOS Elan feels a lot better to me then the Rebel, but also as far as technical features are concerned which camera would be better?

Welcome Geoff!! :)

I was thinking that, but today I went to the camera store and felt the Rebel XT and the D70, and the D70 felt a lot nicer. Also I honestly dont like any of the lenses I have, the only one that I paid for was the 28-80, and when I get the Nikon I was planning in buying one really nice lens, and then slowely accumulating more. I was going to ask for lens suggestions when I am ready to buy the dslr.

yea the D70 does feel nice....however I'm of the belief that you'll get used to WHATEVER you get over time and it'll feel like home....like a new pair of shoes....they don't feel good when you first get them....and then without even realizing it - they're suddenly comfortable........some people don't agree.......

what don't you like about your lenses for the canon?

I would suggest seeing what you can do with your current lenses, such as what prices you could get for them. Would it be worth to sell and then switch to another system? If so, then I would definitely suggest switching to Nikon if it felt better in your hands. I personally have the Rebel XT, and to be honest, I can't stand it without the battery grip, it is too small in my hands (and I have fairly small hands), so might also be worth it just to try the Canon with a battery grip as well before making your final decision.

Good luck making your decision.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot... Welcome to TPF!

Personally I'd pick the Elan over the Rebel just for the command dial on the back. I'm so used to using that. I used to own an Elan and it's a great camera. The Rebel is newer and so will have better flash metering and more focus points, but from what little I know of it, I'd still lean towards the Elan. Either will serve you just fine. Shoot with both and see which you like better.

Most reactions

Back