A guide to printing digital photos

Geronimo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone had a guide to print ditigal photos i.e. 1600x1200 resolution converted to inches? I understand 300 dpi is the prefered dpi to use but I heard you might be able to squeak by at 240 dpi? Is it just resolution divided by dpi ? 1600/1200 divided by 240 dpi = a 6.7 x 5 print?

Some printers give acceptible results at 200 ppi, but the general conensus is 300 ppi for true photo quality.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 785 EPX (which I love, tho I wish I could afford a newer Epson with the individual ink cartridges), and it gives excellent results at 300 ppi, and pretty good "snapshot quality" results at 200-250 ppi.

->EDIT : DOH! Forgot to answer the basic question! Yes, you are correct. Scan your image, or set your digital camera's resolution at a setting to give you the # of pixels you need to generate 300 ppi for the size print you want, ie an 8x10 print would require 2400x3000 pixel image.

well crapola then. Guess I need to go back and shoot some higher resolution photos if the weather is nice then.

Thanks for answering my question.

Geronimo said:
well crapola then. Guess I need to go back and shoot some higher resolution photos if the weather is nice then.

Thats why its always a good idea to take every picture at the highest setting you have. Besides if you want to crop, it leaves room to play and still large enough to print. :0).

Something else you could do is use software to enlarge the image so its at a larger dpi, its not as good as taking a picture of the original at a huge setting, but if you cant shoot the moment a 2nd time, its better than nothing. And appearantly Photoshop has intellegent software that does a good job in enlarging pictures. I havent tried this yet but its an idea. :0).

You could always take a higher resolution picture...of the picture. 8)

I remember once in middle school I took a picture (with my 110) of Elle McPherson in Sports Illustrated. Then I told all my friends I met her and took the picture myself. :oops:

Some questioned that "I" took the pic but none figured out my method. :wink:

GerryDavid said:
Geronimo said:

Thats why its always a good idea to take every picture at the highest setting you have. Besides if you want to crop, it leaves room to play and still large enough to print. :0).

Something else you could do is use software to enlarge the image so its at a larger dpi, its not as good as taking a picture of the original at a huge setting, but if you cant shoot the moment a 2nd time, its better than nothing. And appearantly Photoshop has intellegent software that does a good job in enlarging pictures. I havent tried this yet but its an idea. :0).

I usually take photos 1600x1200 that gives me enough room to take 100 or so shots while I am out. It prints nice off of my photosmart 7115 (8x10). The problem is someone wants to buy a photo(s) that I took at 1600 x 1200, and sounded like she wanted the biggest print aviavable. I guess I could try messing around in photoshop to enlarge it enough.

Most reactions

Back