A home made softbox made of scrap

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In response to a PM I received I decided to post this here. A quick and simple softbox for a flash and in the true DIY style a typical home will have all of these ingredients laying around somewhere.

DSC_5180.jpg

The softbox was made out of a shoebox, and had to be small enough for quick hand held usage, hence the 20x20cm size. Yes it is small but every bit helps when making lighting softer. The box is constructed from triangle bits which have been taped together. The inside of the box was covered with glue and lined with shiny aluminium foil. This prevents wasting flash power and I gained more than a full stop in power. It also makes the specular light source wider since this now reflects off the walls. The front is covered with very thin paper. Experimentation is the key here as the paper needs to be thick enough not to let the source light through defeating the diffusing action, yet thin enough not to waste power.

The end result works remarkably well, cost $0 not including the $100 shoes, and at the expense of between 1-2 stops of light you get a significantly softer source.

Poorly exposed sample image: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/Garbz01/junk/DSC_1074-1.jpg Softbox was around 2m to the left. No it's not as good as a studio softbox, but a) it helps, and b) who can argue with the price :)

Next up from Garbz will be a snoot made from a Fosters can (pre-emptied!) :)

That's pretty neat, thanks for sharing.

Looks good. I made a similar one out of a tupper wear container. I just glued paper to the front and cut a hole in the back that my flash slips into.

I eventually just got the real foldable mini soft box so i can carry it easily

For a few bucks (yea it kills the 0 budget) try a sheet of mylar drafting film matte finish both sides instead of paper.

Neat. I'll have to try my crafty skills at this project.
Right after I finish my mile long list of other things to build. Backdrop stand, light stand, etc.

that's awesome! thanks for posting this!

Oh just a note on the paper. The paper used here is actually a paper bag, funnily enough the paper bag you get given from a newsagent when you buy sheets of paper :lol:

Next up from Garbz will be a snoot made from a Fosters can (pre-emptied!) :)

Hey just because I live in Australia doesn't mean I have bad taste. It definitely won't be made from a Fosters can :p Speaking of which I don't actually have a snoot. I remember needing one desperately once so I used a rolled up newspaper and a piece of string and had someone hold it for me.

Seriously I should start up my own home brand photography company called ghetto photography. Along with all of this the only cameras I will allow are Holgas :D

Oh just a note on the paper. The paper used here is actually a paper bag, funnily enough the paper bag you get given from a newsagent when you buy sheets of paper :lol:

Hey just because I live in Australia doesn't mean I have bad taste. It definitely won't be made from a Fosters can :p Speaking of which I don't actually have a snoot. I remember needing one desperately once so I used a rolled up newspaper and a piece of string and had someone hold it for me.

Seriously I should start up my own home brand photography company called ghetto photography. Along with all of this the only cameras I will allow are Holgas :D

I call this homebrew. In Ham Radio I build about half of my equipment. A lot of the Ham Homebrew is far better than anything you can buy plus you lean a great deal by building.

Nicely done.

I made a flash deflector one time, it worked well but it's not as portable as the store bought models.

Here it is...
IMG_0939-web.jpg

As for a snoot, I've made one with the same 'sheet foam' that I used for the deflector. I just rolled it around the head of the flash and put a rubber band on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back