A How To ? Emergency

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a guide/ball out to taking photos of a child going to see santa today.

1) Settings
2) lens choice, either a 24 70 or 70 200
3) Flash or no flash ( I haven't got one at the moment but I could borrow one)
4) Anything else I need to consider.

Ive not much portraite or santa experience

1) Completely dependent on the light. I try not to using anything below 1/200s with kids. I set my aperture to what I think will provide enough DOF, and then I typically use AUTO ISO. If the ISO level ends up being higher than ideal (as it was with my kids and santa last night), I lower the shutter speed. I went to 1/100s to get ISO back under 3000 because the lighting was poor.

2) 24-70 I think is probably the best choice...I'd be surprised if you had enough room to move back far enough for the 70-200mm.

3)I'd say no to the flash if you have no experience with it, and the organizers might not like it either

4)I don't know how these things run in Ireland, but here in the US, almost all Santa sessions are sponsored by a photography outfit of some sort. Be prepared for them to be annoyed at you bringing a camera, and understand that your opportunities as far as framing, where you can stand, etc might be limited as a result.

1. Depends on location. First thought is aperture priority so you can control DOF to get both in focus.

2. Either one, depends on what your most comfortable using and number of people in the way. 70-200 might hinder you if it's crowed. Bring both.

3. Flash is always good to have on hand but I would get it off the camera if you can't bounce it off a ceiling. But then you may need a ttl cord if you don't have a trigger.

4. Ttl cord . I would probably just settle on the 24-70. Grab a ttl cord in the event you need a flash for fill, raise it up at 45° towards your subject. If the flash is on the hot shoe, it may create shadows behind your subject. Standard color profile in camera. Double check white balance on location. Cell phone camera may not be bad here either if it's a modern smart phone.

This wasn't sponsored, that is to say it wasn't free, you paid and were churned out at $12 children all in + attending adults $6 per head and then $6 per print, digital copy not optional.

Anyway I will use the advice for other occasions.

This wasn't sponsored, that is to say it wasn't free, you paid and were churned out at $12 children all in + attending adults $6 per head and then $6 per print, digital copy not optional.

Anyway I will use the advice for other occasions.
Ouch!!! I hope they were wearing masks and tricorn hats!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back