A Job/Favour for a college

Mo.

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok guys, so basically tomorrow a college has kindly asked me to take pictures of the their newly built building. This includes pictures from the outside and inside. I told them money is not really a problem and if they like my pictures they can pay me whatever they want as this is just a good experience for me, they have clearly asked me because they've like my photo's from the past.

Anyway, I'd like to know what mode I shoot at. I mean I can use Manual mode and Aperture priority but sometimes when I take shots with the 'landscape' mode the pictures come out better, by that I mean the pictures are brighter and the colours are so much better. However that being said, I think this is mainly because in 'landscape' mode the ISO is higher than what I use on manuel or aperture priority. Usually on 'lanscape' mode it's on 800 whereas I usually do 100-400 ISO normally using aperture mode or manuel mode. Should I use aperture/Manuel mode with a higher ISO or not?

So give me advice in however you can, I can use my camera, I just want to get the best results. I probably wont be editing the pictures so they need to be bang on.

If you shoot with a Canon the custom settings are pretty easy to change. Play with sharpness and contrast and practice around the house until you feel you've got it right. Then you can use manual mode to the settings you like.

When you shoot on Landscape mode, are you talking about the setting on the dial on top, or the picture style in the settings menu?

When you shoot on Landscape mode, are you talking about the setting on the dial on top, or the picture style in the settings menu?
The mountain icon.

OK, on a Canon camera, if you hit the menu button, and go to the second menu screen, at the bottom is a setting called picture style. You can change it to landscape to get the colors you like while using the camera in whatever mode you want (Manual, Av, Tv, etc.). Play around with those settings to find one you like, but I'll let you know now, landscape has the brightest colors.

OK, on a Canon camera, if you hit the menu button, and go to the second menu screen, at the bottom is a setting called picture style. You can change it to landscape to get the colors you like while using the camera in whatever mode you want (Manual, Av, Tv, etc.). Play around with those settings to find one you like, but I'll let you know now, landscape has the brightest colors.
Ah I see, I have a Nikon but I know what you're talking about. Usually it's always on standard when I shoot with Manual and Av.

Could you tell me how they're different to each other?

However that being said, I think this is mainly because in 'landscape' mode the ISO is higher than what I use on manuel or aperture priority. Usually on 'lanscape' mode it's on 800 whereas I usually do 100-400 ISO normally using aperture mode or manuel mode. Should I use aperture/Manuel mode...

I'd avoid doing anything in "manuel mode."

$manuel-que.jpg

Sorry... I really could not resist that one.

I think you need to review the basics of photography before shooting in manual mode, and read your camera's user guide before shooting in anything other than full Auto mode. Then, you'll have a clear understanding of how your camera works and why your pictures are coming out differently, and have a better grasp of what to do for this college project. This will probably take far less time to accomplish than you might think. There are a number of great resources here on TPF.

Ok guys, so basically tomorrow a college has kindly asked me to take pictures of the their newly built building. This includes pictures from the outside and inside.
Excellent, however I doubt if there's anything kind about it. They want something cheap and they're hoping you can give it to them!

I told them money is not really a problem and if they like my pictures they can pay me whatever they want as this is just a good experience for me, they have clearly asked me because they've like my photo's from the past.
BIG mistake. You're doing commercial work for a business. DON'T do it without a signed contract, pre-agreed upon licensing, etc. Just because you think they like your work, don't for a second think they won't put the screws to you if they feel it will benefit them!

Anyway, I'd like to know what mode I shoot at.
Pardon?????

I mean I can use Manual mode and Aperture priority but sometimes when I take shots with the 'landscape' mode the pictures come out better, by that I mean the pictures are brighter and the colours are so much better. However that being said, I think this is mainly because in 'landscape' mode the ISO is higher than what I use on manuel or aperture priority. Usually on 'lanscape' mode it's on 800 whereas I usually do 100-400 ISO normally using aperture mode or manuel mode. Should I use aperture/Manuel mode with a higher ISO or not?
Ummmm...

So give me advice in however you can, I can use my camera, I just want to get the best results. I probably wont be editing the pictures so they need to be bang on.
The best advice I can give you is: Don't do it! Doing a quality job of this sort requires a lot of gear. A pro-level UWA, ideally a T/S, lots of lighting for the interior shots...
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but if you're uncertain as to which mode with which to shoot, and are actually considering 'scene' modes, I'm not sure that your skills are yet at the level needed to really execute this task. What is the end use(s) for the images?

Put it on "P" for professional. That means they'll probably pay you too!

Ok guys, so basically tomorrow a college has kindly asked me to take pictures of the their newly built building. This includes pictures from the outside and inside. I told them money is not really a problem and if they like my pictures they can pay me whatever they want as this is just a good experience for me, they have clearly asked me because they've like my photo's from the past.

Anyway, I'd like to know what mode I shoot at. I mean I can use Manual mode and Aperture priority but sometimes when I take shots with the 'landscape' mode the pictures come out better, by that I mean the pictures are brighter and the colours are so much better. However that being said, I think this is mainly because in 'landscape' mode the ISO is higher than what I use on manuel or aperture priority. Usually on 'lanscape' mode it's on 800 whereas I usually do 100-400 ISO normally using aperture mode or manuel mode. Should I use aperture/Manuel mode with a higher ISO or not?

Piss take ?

Most reactions

Back