A Landscape Photography tip...

So, Sirashley, in the top photo did you focus on the reeds, ie. the brown tall grass?

In the bottom photo, you again focused a few feet in?

But, suppose you had focused on the green grass in the first one and say the junction of the road and grass in the second one or almost at your feet, wouldn't the result be the same?

Basically isn't this just the same as using small aperture to achieve a deep depth of field?

So, Sirashley, in the top photo did you focus on the reeds, ie. the brown tall grass?

In the bottom photo, you again focused a few feet in?

But, suppose you had focused on the green grass in the first one and say the junction of the road and grass in the second one or almost at your feet, wouldn't the result be the same?

Basically isn't this just the same as using small aperture to achieve a deep depth of field?

Actually, there is quite a difference in the overall sharpness of the photo. Using the Hyperfocal distance, you actually get a wider DoF. I'm not sure for the technical reason why this is, but it get objects in the foreground sharper. When you shoot at like an f23 and focus out, you loose some degree of sharpness on objects closest to the camera. Notice that the water in the first picture closest to the camera in the first image is very sharp, while everything in the distance is still very sharp. Depending on the lens, that can be tough to achieve with a narrower aperture of f20 or more...

Another reason for the use of Hyperfocal distance is that in using a smaller f#, you can increase your shutter speed goes up. When the sun is going down and you are losing light, being able to keep your shutter speed up is important because it keep things like branches and sawgrass may be blowing in the wind...

These are just a couple of reasons, I'm sure some of the seasoned photographers can come up with a couple more...

What website did you join with a league? Those are some awesome photos by the way, I will definitely have to test it out when I go out and about.

The Website is www.Dpchallenge.com It is a weekly challenge website but once a year they do what's called the DPL, which is a league that lasts for like 8-10 weeks. Everyone divides into teams of 10, and their scores are combined. Photos are judged by everyone and are scored on a basis of 1-10. The DPL should be coming up again, usually in April is when the first announcements come out. You don't have to be a paying member to participate either...

Lastly, let me say this. Pretty much everything I have learned about photography beyond the basics, has come from that site. I participate in some of the weekly challenges when I have time, but let me warn you, this site is not for the thin-skinned... During voting people leave comments, and they do not sugar coat anything...LOL... The positive side of this, is that you actually get constructive criticism, and people are always willing to help out in the forums. I highly recommend this site for those looking to take the next step, but prepare to be frustrated because its not easy. I have entered 36 challenges and the best I have done is 8th place. Having said that, I feel like I've gotten better as a photographer, so that's all that matters... Best of luck and hope to see you around there. I'm on there under the same user name so if you have any questions feel free to ask...

search "DOF calculator" for Android. Thats the one I use. Its free, and works decent enough when in a bind. Since I always have the phone on me, its always within reach should I need it.

There is one thing to be aware about that technique. DSLRs, specially those with APS-C or smaller sensors, suffer more than film from loss of definition because of diffraction. Light passing through a small hole (such as an f/22 diafragm) may separate into different beams so a very small apperture might cause a loss sharpness. For each camera/lens combination there is a limit apperture beyond which this effect is noticeable. Everyone should be aware of this limits for their cameras and lenses in order to make maximum benefit of hyperfocal distance technique.

[]'s
Antonio

I found this video very helpful:

Last edited by a moderator:
This Picture is very beautiful, it is very wide-field.

Awesome info, looks like I have another excuse to get an Android.

It sucks that lens manufacturers do not put the DOF markers on their lenses anymore.

They do put them on prime lenses and lenses that zoom with a slide action rather than the now more common rotary action.

This technique jumped out at me when I took this shot:
Lake-cropped.jpg

It's not a perfect example since the foreground is kinda soft, but I was using a 55-200mm lens. Would have worked better with my wide-angle lens.

I bookmarked the depth-of-field link because I really want to maximize this technique in my landscapes.:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back