A "learning thread." What was your "A-Ha!" moment in photography?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In response to another thread I was reading this morning, the idea popped into my head that maybe it would be cool to have an "A-Ha!" type learning thread where people could share their experiences in which they **finally** understood: (1) the exposure triangle; (2) composition; (3) portrait lighting; or (4) anything else that might be interesting to NooB or experienced photographers.

I consider myself an advanced amateur at best, so I may not have that much to offer in terms of a useful A-Ha! moment, but here goes...

In terms of shooting a portrait photograph that will get **good** reviews and positive criticism, I think in the past I have worked too hard on getting the technical aspects correct and I have focused less on the composition of the image. I have posted many portrait images on this forum which I considered to be technically sound, but the reviews were lukewarm at best. Perhaps it's a personality thing--regulars on here know me and I'm not friends with everybody, and this place does tend to be a bit of a popularity contest :mrgreen:, so those who are more popular get more responses and more positive critiques of their images.

But back to my A-Ha! comment--in the future, I think I should worry less about nailing the technical aspects and worry more about making the photograph appear interesting. For example, maybe instead of just a head shot or a head and torso shot, I should focus instead on the person doing something, or I don't know...I'm still thinking this through. I guess if you boil it down, what I'm trying to say (and this sounds so OBVIOUS now that I'm typing it :mrgreen:) is that composition is more important than technical soundness.

Anyhow, not that interesting but I tried my best. Anybody else care to share their thoughts?

I don't remember figuring out exposure, but I do remember having an a-ha! moment about strobes. I don't remember context, but at some point I put together shutter sync speed, and what that's all about, with aperture to realize that with flash the only thing that matters for that part of the light is how big the hole it. I had probably been stewing in Edgerton's work for a few years before it all really fell into place.

The day I bought a flash.

I've had several A-Ha moments. The last 'big' one was when I finally understood raw. December 28, 2010. 8:53 PM.

Does feeling up my GF in the darkroom when I was in high school count?

But seriously it would have to be using my old Minolta to figure out the basics of shutter speed and aperture and how it translated into the developed photo.

But seriously it would have to be using my old Minolta to figure out the basics of shutter speed and aperture and how it translated into the developed photo.

Was the photo....**well** developed? :eyebrows:

[Insert comment here from Kat about jdubs being a perv....] :mrgreen:

"A "learning thread." What was your "A-Ha!" moment in photography?"

If your serious about learning anything there is going to be a LOT more then one!

i have aaahha moments every day... sometimes several times a day...

"A "learning thread." What was your "A-Ha!" moment in photography?"

If your serious about learning anything there is going to be a LOT more then one!

Pick your favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that made a huge difference was shooting for a week or so on auto ISO.

I'm still waiting for this "aha moment" thingie...

Does it hurt when it happens???

Most reactions

Back