A "learning thread." What was your "A-Ha!" moment in photography?

Epiphany #1 - That RAW files exist and have far more manipulation 'room' in post than JPGs. I won't tell you how long I thought that JPGs were the only thing coming out of a digital camera!

Ephphany #2 - Canon AF methodology on Youtube:
I had been using one-shot AF all the time figuring I wasn't doing any continuous mode shooting... Whoever posted that link 6 months ago...THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was when I read Understand Exposure by Bryan Peterson

When I read digital cameras had reached 6 Megapixels.

Thats about the resolution of standard color film, so that was the breaking point.

In terms of shooting a portrait photograph that will get **good** reviews and positive criticism, I think in the past I have worked too hard on getting the technical aspects correct and I have focused less on the composition of the image. I have posted many portrait images on this forum which I considered to be technically sound, but the reviews were lukewarm at best. Perhaps it's a personality thing--regulars on here know me and I'm not friends with everybody, and this place does tend to be a bit of a popularity contest :mrgreen:, so those who are more popular get more responses and more positive critiques of their images.

But back to my A-Ha! comment--in the future, I think I should worry less about nailing the technical aspects and worry more about making the photograph appear interesting. For example, maybe instead of just a head shot or a head and torso shot, I should focus instead on the person doing something, or I don't know...I'm still thinking this through. I guess if you boil it down, what I'm trying to say (and this sounds so OBVIOUS now that I'm typing it :mrgreen:) is that composition is more important than technical soundness.

I'm not certain if a slow realization can be classed as an epiphany but I have come to beiieve that technical stuff just isn't the crucial thing, that great technical pictures look best on calendars and great pictures make the technical details irrelevant.

I am a little surprised by the number of AHA moments in this list that would have occurred much early in the photographers' respective development if they had only read the manual.

My aha moment was the first time I tried the Nikon D5000 and realized how much fun I was having with it. I'm now moving up to a Nikon D300 and hope it will be a good move. I can't afford a D3 but I think this camera will be a good upgrade from my D 5000.

Why the negative is negative and the print is positive, was my most recent. Dodging and burning belongs in the same epiphany.

Most reactions

Back