A lightweight camera for landscape?

I was actually surprised that you weren't considering Sony when you said you wanted small and full frame. The only thing I would suggest is looking at the prices of the lenses you might want. I'm guessing probably either the 10-18mm or the 16-35mm? The lenses can get pretty pricey, but if you can get them used they can be great. I know there are a few third party prime lenses available too.

Sorry to keep throwing cameras in but I see the Sony A7 has dropped in price (probably a while ago but I don't usually keep up) and it seems like a good deal as it is full frame and small. Do you think this system would be a good one for my needs?

That's probably the best choice out of all of them, I'd rather use a 6D but NOT for what you described you shoot and the type of camera body you want.
It's a great idea but look into the lens prices..

In other words: its not a great idea.

I would like to add that yes, the camera is small, but the lenses ? Not so much.

As I said before, personally I would go for Fuji. Pick one of the cheaper bodies (X-T10 or the new X-E2s), pick the great lenses of that system (such as 10-18mm f4 OIS, 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 OIS, 35mm f2 WR, 16mm f1.4 WR), and one should end up pretty happy.

Later one can sell the cheaper body and get a weathersealed one (X-T1, X-Pro2, probably in summer X-T2 etc).

No I am talking about speed as in the F stop. I don't need fast autofocus, I rarely shoot moving subjects. I want a lens that is fast so I can let in a lot of light in night shots. And the FX canon I could possibly see myself upgrading to is the 6D, which is fairly small.

Ugh.
Well, a 6D would kick ass with night shots since it can go a few stops higher and still stay cleaner
then the T3i. I wouldn't worry about F/4 vs F/2.8 on the 6D at all, and I'd rather have the 17-40
then the 16-28 range anyways.

Did you see the new Tokina 14-20 F/2?
Now that's sick. :)

I agree, the 6D is a good option for "kick ass" night shots
(buy refurbished)

Thank you for the input. The reason I was considering a new camera is because I am ready to start a system. I feel like Pentax and Fuji are both bringing new ideas into the market and they would be a good option to go with.
If I get a new lens, do you think the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 would be a good choice? I find myself in the wider end of my current 18-55 and I already have a 50mm f/1.8 that I rarely use. Would the IQ be an improvement with that lens?

didn't read through the other responses but if you get a crop body, go with the 11-16 rather than the 16-28, especially if you're looking for a lightweight kit. The 16-28 is heavy as hell and a fairly big lens, plus it doesn't accept filters without an adapter (which would just add more size/weight)

First off, what are you planning on doing with your landscape shots? If for sale nothing you mentioned is adequate. Do a THOROUGH research on what professional landscape photographers are using. Try Muenchen, Lanting, Wolfe, Mangelsen for starters. If you are only going to take snapshots for your blog or some such then practically anything will serve.

Someone above mentioned the Canon 6D. It is hands down the best value out there for quality, and weight.

I would like to add that yes, the camera is small, but the lenses ? Not so much.

As I said before, personally I would go for Fuji. Pick one of the cheaper bodies (X-T10 or the new X-E2s), pick the great lenses of that system (such as 10-18mm f4 OIS, 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 OIS, 35mm f2 WR, 16mm f1.4 WR), and one should end up pretty happy.

Later one can sell the cheaper body and get a weathersealed one (X-T1, X-Pro2, probably in summer X-T2 etc).

What about Sony? Their A7 lines of cameras are FF and more compact than a DSLR.

Read the post literally above yours.

Fuji say what?

First off, what are you planning on doing with your landscape shots? If for sale nothing you mentioned is adequate. Do a THOROUGH research on what professional landscape photographers are using. Try Muenchen, Lanting, Wolfe, Mangelsen for starters. If you are only going to take snapshots for your blog or some such then practically anything will serve.

Someone above mentioned the Canon 6D. It is hands down the best value out there for quality, and weight.

*cough*Nikon D750*cough*

QUOTE="Village Idiot, post: 3579316, member: 28914"]

*cough*Nikon D750*cough*[/QUOTE]

You're excused for that opinion. It is well accepted that Nikon gives off fumes that affect mental operations! ;):bouncingsmileys:
[

Last edited:
Thank you for the input. The reason I was considering a new camera is because I am ready to start a system. I feel like Pentax and Fuji are both bringing new ideas into the market and they would be a good option to go with.
If I get a new lens, do you think the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 would be a good choice? I find myself in the wider end of my current 18-55 and I already have a 50mm f/1.8 that I rarely use. Would the IQ be an improvement with that lens?

didn't read through the other responses but if you get a crop body, go with the 11-16 rather than the 16-28, especially if you're looking for a lightweight kit. The 16-28 is heavy as hell and a fairly big lens, plus it doesn't accept filters without an adapter (which would just add more size/weight)

There's a 11-20 available now for the same price as the 11-16.

Most reactions

Back