A Little Bit of Light

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
780-c1579.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting crop choice... the dunes look almost surreal.

Is the green in the dunes intentional? (If it's actually there in real life, what is it? Some sort of sand grass?)

Is the green in the dunes intentional? (If it's actually there in real life, what is it? Some sort of sand grass?)

These are the dunes in Death Valley- trying to get a different look. They were pristine that morning.

As far as I can figure, the green is some sort of white balance problem. When I shot this it was on auto wb, and I wasn't shooting raw then either. In 2004 it was more about making memories, traveling for tax writeoffs and keeping my head up. I'll try again in BW someday- just ran across it while working on another project.

Ahh... you've been going through the archives, too? I spent all of Good Friday editing reams of photos...

Ahh... you've been going through the archives, too? I spent all of Good Friday editing reams of photos...

I have a couple off presentations to do at the end of this month and kind of drift off into other galleries when I get bored.

Check these out...

600-petroglyph-rm-0477.jpg

790-0475-v2.jpg

Ok, so these are about 100 miles from where I should be looking at. :no smile:

I love how the sky is blown out in the first. It makes the place look so much more alien than a blue sky would've allowed.

I love how the sky is blown out in the first. It makes the place look so much more alien than a blue sky would've allowed.

Thanks. The sky isn't quite blown out. There is some color there, but not much.

What are those drawings of, exactly?

Nobody can say for sure what the drawings are. It's fun to guess and intellectuaize, but dangerous to pass on that, that's what they represent. They're petroglyphs pecked in volcanic basalt. Possibly the are up to 8,000 years old. Some think maybe even older. No one knows who made them either. The Indians didn't even know- They referred to them as the 'Ancient Ones.'

The first is one of my favorites. Looks important. The second looks like a woman having a baby to me, with snakes crawling on the ground. Possibly the leg on the right symbolizes a river? Don't know, but fun to think about.

now that is cool

A little update:

I've been all over this trying to figure out why the images before and after don't have the green caste/tinge to them and this one does. Thinking about it I believe it may be due to the resultant light from a 'green flash.'

A green flash is more often associated with the ocean at sunset, but they do occur at sunrise, and can happen anywhere when the conditions are right. I was trying to capture the exact moment the light came over the horizon, and as I read more and more about these, it makes more sense. I'm thinking I may have captured more than just a photo of pristine dunes.

now that is cool

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back