A Little Dinghy

alyeska41

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The burst of color caught my eye... not your usual dinghy, painted brightly to avoid theft.... this picture was taken on the Oyster River in Chatham Massachusetts.... May 20, 2005

This photo was taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3, 1/400 second, f 4.0, focal length 4.60mm, ISO80

I have not made any changes to the photo. other than to crop, and resize..

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice...

Thanks

Siobhan

dinghy2edited9hd.jpg

There are some really nice crontrasting colours in this photo.

The water seems an un-natural shade of turquoise and helps make the pink and yellow of the bost pop out at you.

One thing i will say that i think might have improved it in my opinion is the shore line, i would have checked a few more angles before i took the pic, to make sure i could get it perfectly horizontal. I think doing that would have sectioned the photo into nice chucks of colour and contrast

erniehatt said:
Nice colours, But had you moved mor to one side and placed the dingy at more of an angle into the picture, composition would have been improved. Ernie

I agree, all the lines in the photo are horizontal which makes the picture static. Did you try taking it on more of an angle? It's a really good subject to shoot, so shoot the hell out of it in as many ways as possible, its a good way to learn.

To me it does appear that the color balance is off. None of the color seem quite real. Also the image appears quite flat / 2d. Part of this is caused by all the lines running horizontal as John E. mentioned. Angling the shot would have help the composition dramatically. I would also recommend playing with DOF some. With f/4 I am surprised it is so flat, but then the focal lengh is only 4.6mm. If possible try backing away from the boat more (at an angle of course) and zoom in if your camera allows it. This may help the DOF and take a lot of attention off the water and place it onto the boat.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more.

I would have maybe shot a bit higher to get as much of the pink in as possible. It is a great contrasting colour to the blue/ green of the scenery. I also think that the colour is a bit off balance too. The blue looks too fake. Great idea though...keep trying!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back