a little encouragement..

Christina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple who has watched me take photographs since i started, He was a co-worker and somehow me and his wife started speaking quite frequently online. They know by all means that i have never done a wedding, and i have stressed this over and over to them. They said they would like to pay me a little amount ($200) and give me the chance to get some experience, she told me i had to start somewhere and that she has confidence that i would do just fine. she is not going to hire a professional since they are already married and just doing the ceremony. Her mother was the person who wanted to do so. when her mother asked how she felt about me doing the photographs ( b/c i met with them and show her mother my portfolio)she told her mother she was very confident in my abilities, as i was stressing the fact one again that i have never done a wedding.

so im asking for those who make a living at this or even those who do it semi-pro.. any encouraging words or tips that you would like to give?

i did their engagment to blow up a big photograph for the wedding and they like them, so ... i dont know. I think i'll do well, I just need a little push, im excited and nervous.

was anyone nervous their first time at a wedding? :lol:

ps. this was the engagment photograph she picked. personally not one of my favorites but if they like it, i guess thats all that matters...

jenandjames006bw.jpg

My first wedding was my stepson's and it was a wonderful learning experience. I was incredibly nervous, but the photos came out great, and now I have something to use in my portfolio. It sounds like they trust you, and you should jump at this chance. You've explained that it's your first wedding, so there should be no unusually high expectations. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with whatever you produce. If you're unsure about the photos before giving them to the couple, you can always post them here and we'll give you all the help we can. :)

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Forget about the first one...me (and probably most of the photographers I know) are a little nervous every time. :lol:

The one thing that will stress the most, is to be prepared. If you and they are confident in your abilities...that's all well and good. But you can't use your abilities because your camera isn't working...then you are screwed. So make sure you have a backup equipment and or a plan for what to do if any of your gear stops working. That's really what I'm nervous about before a wedding...making sure that I have all of my gear and hoping that none of it behaves badly for me.

Hi Christina!
Don't they always pick the photo that's not your fave? I hear your pain!

Two schools on this, and two real life examples of "friend/family"wedding photography.

1. First example is that they are so greatful that they don't have "nothing". Love everything. Love you.
2. Second example is that they are friends or family who will no longer speak to you, and may even attempt to sue.

I have seriously seen both examples.

Here is what I would do:

I would draw up an iron clad contract. Yep, they are your buddies now.....
I would GIVE AWAY the service...via contract...with no value. That way you can't be sued. But make sure you have rights to the photos for self promotion.
You can add that if they like their photo proofs, you will send them photo negs for so many $ PROVIDED THEY SIGN A CONTRACT SAYING THEY ARE HAPPY WITH THE PHOTOGRAPHS PROVIDED.
This way you are covered. It can be great the first time, or a total mess. Protect yourself and your family against liablity. You can still make the money, you just have to work it right.
Don't stress too much. The disasters are few and far between, but they can happen to anyone.
Hugs,
Cindy

Hi Christina!

2. Second example is that they are friends or family who will no longer speak to you, and may even attempt to sue.

I would draw up an iron clad contract. Yep, they are your buddies now.....
I would GIVE AWAY the service...via contract...with no value. That way you can't be sued. But make sure you have rights to the photos for self promotion.
You can add that if they like their photo proofs, you will send them photo negs for so many $ PROVIDED THEY SIGN A CONTRACT SAYING THEY ARE HAPPY WITH THE PHOTOGRAPHS PROVIDED.
This way you are covered. It can be great the first time, or a total mess. Protect yourself and your family against liablity. You can still make the money, you just have to work it right.
Don't stress too much. The disasters are few and far between, but they can happen to anyone.
Hugs,
Cindy

this sounds like a good idea. but im terrible with wording, what would be the best way for a contract like this? is there any templates online i could use? a is there a particular name for it? i.e. "No Fault Contract" or something?

Make a check list of what you need two days before, follow the check list the night before, making sure you have all your memmory packed and everything charged/spare flash batteries etc...

If ata ll possible, take your camera and scout the location(s) you will be shooting. Do a few test shots of surrounding elements.

Check weather report often (if outside)

Make sure you know how the events will unfold, ask the mother-in-law, or maid of honor. This way you will not miss anything.

Keep your eyes open, and always be looking for a shot and composition following.

Do not... DO NOT, forget the little things (ISO, flash settings, etc...) these things can be really easy to forget in the frantic moments in a wedding, but they will easily destroy a good photo.

Make your own workflow: when you want to do formals, how long do you want to take to capture photos of family, and how long to take photos of bride and groom. (I try to keep it under 30 min.)

Be forceful, loud, and stern when taking photos of family groups. If not they will walk all over you and you will never get the photos you need.

Never upstage the bride, mother, or mother-in-law

Have fun, weddings are supposed to be a fun celebration. If your not having fun and feeling the vibe of the wedding, how can you accuratley shoot it and capture the moments??? So have fun, and celebrate others love... I promise your photos will show it.

I think we are freaking her out. LOL
Christina, let me see if I can reword my contract to fit your needs. It won't be today mind you. Hopefully tomorrow.

I think we are freaking her out. LOL
Christina, let me see if I can reword my contract to fit your needs. It won't be today mind you. Hopefully tomorrow.

i would be very greatful.

im not freaked out yet, :lol: nervous but not freaked out. ya'll are giving me great advice and its calming me very much, thank you everyone for your tips and kind words.

I'd go for it. They want you to do it, no one else it seems.

have more memory and more batteries than you think you need. watch your ISO's and F/Stops closely, compose, shoot, next.........look up, down and side to side for shots. be confident and assertive.

I am by no means a pro at all lol and I just did my very first wedding on Saturday :blushing: thanks to the amazing people on this forum I made it through without any major problems. I am praying that the couple like the shots I took and am glad I did it but was so nervous I had a stomache ache for days lol.

I just bought my first slr camera in July and am still trying to figure out how to use it so the stress was tenfold !!!

If I managed you will too and the fact that you already have a rapoor sp? with them will help as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back