A little fun with chalk.

It's very nice to have photos of this kind of childhood stuff. The little day-to-day, "real-life" stuff that makes up childhood is all too often just thrown out each month or so. I might want to see this burned down a bit, since the brightest highlights seems a bit hot.

What's up with the top of the page? The grate/vent seems misplaced.

Derrel, I see what you mean about the highlights. I was wanting this one bright and colorful, so much so that I didn't notice that.

Kundalini, that is the basket that the chalk was in. I have cropped it to get rid of that.

Sidewalk chalk by Ron_Lane, on Flickr

Derrel, I see what you mean about the highlights. I was wanting this one bright and colorful, so much so that I didn't notice that.

Kundalini, that is the basket that the chalk was in. I have cropped it to get rid of that.

Chalk it up to a learning experience? :lol: Sorry dude, I tried to force myself not to go there. I wasn't strong enough. LOL

It's all good ShooterJ. That's all I was doing with this photo anyway, was something light and fun. Just seeing if it worked.

It worked pretty well, IMO. It's a simple shot, but I like it. I've seen some absolutely amazing images that were incredibly simple, so I don't think it's a bad thing at all.

Nice shot. I'd crop the tan crayon at the top. The fact that it's horizontal and fairly large makes it stand out from the others.

Thanks KenC, I will look at that when I get back to my computer, although looking at it, I'm afraid that it will crop too close to the center one that is kinda the focal point.

There is a perfectly good image in your shot, Ron, but it does take a little selective tweaking to get it to the surface. I only used the selective marque tool and the levels adjuster except where I copied and pasted a piece of chalk to cover that odd blue piece of plastic in the upper left area. I did add a drop shadow to match the rest of the image.

$chalk 2.jpg

Nice edit ceeboy14. on the levels, did you adjust both ends or just the highlights? At first in post, I added some contrast to bring out the shadows, but didn't like it (probably went too far).

I slide as needed. On these, I went more from light to dark to try to build some "roundness" to the pieces. that was also the reason for darkening the basket - yo help push the colors up but also create some depth. Try to avoid contrast adjustments until the end as they tend to clog your blacks.

I used the quick selection tool on each piece of chalk and adjusted each to its best merits. On some, I used both levels and HSB so I could get some of the flecks from other pieces and brighten them up a bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back