A little in your face

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So which one is better the crop or full image?

mantid_10.jpg

mantid_11.jpg

When i saw this on the pc the eyes just hit me, but they are impossible to show at 800 pixels, a bit of a shame, but perhaps there is more of them in the crop?

tim

Here's a vote for the full image then, just to make things more difficult for you, Tim :greenpbl: --- no, actually because I like the full image composition better. It is STILL extremely close!!! (Aaaaaaand has a bit of a green background, so there :greenpbl: :biggrin: )

I'll sit on the fence lol !!!
I like both of them the crop detail is good, but the full frame adds more interest.

Deano

Full image. The out of focus body of the mantid in the background gives a lifelike impression of it's true size.

So there are aliens on earth!

I like the full version as well, because I can tell more of what it is. You cropped away the nifty looking top of its' head and those vicious looking jaws and I miss it. And I also like the contrast of the green against the lavender and its' body blurred away. Awesome shot by the way. I've never seen a bug so close!

Full image is better. For a crop why not try a portrait showing only the right half of the face (insects left). This would show loads of eye detail and could be interesting.
Mike

now that's detail, either way! what lens did you use for this?

Wow, thanks for all the replies, full it is, it is my sons, and in its last instar, so doesnt have long left to live and he wanted some pictures to keep after it is gone, now the full one is on order in the largest they do :).

Corinna, i have been trying to get a shot in with a nice bright suculent green in for ages but it always ends up dark with this flash :(. But now i have an excuse to take more pics :), thanks lass.

Hey again dean we have to stop meeting like this, btw when are you getting or have you got the nikon 105? and i am looking forward to seeing what it can do.

slizerama, point taken :) and agreed.

zustaparadox, i would really like to get some good quality wide angle macro shots, just for that reason, size dissapears so easily in these telephotos.

flyingseale thats something i would never have thought of... did you mean as in the pic below?

brighteyesphotos, there is not much room for a portrait as the ration changes, unless it was more squared?

Joat, it is an old sigma 105, with a slight back focusing problem (.5mm at 20 cm grrr), but it is nice and sharp despite its age, these were with a 1.4 x tx and 21mm extention. so something like 2:1?

mantid_17.jpg

like this flyingseale?

thanks again all

tim

oh btw corinna this was the brightest green of them all, but still couldnt get enough light on the leaves

mantid_13.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back