a little more reach

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jamiebonline, Aug 20, 2016.

1. jamiebonline

jamiebonline TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone,

So I have a midrange zoom that ends at 50mm but I use it on a crop body so equivalent fov 75mm. I was thinking of getting an 85mm 1.8 but it is a little expensive for me and I find it to be too long at almost 130 efov on crop. I used it before and as I do mostly 2/3 body shots outdoors I am so far from the subject with this lens that I have to raise my voice or shout to communicate with the person. Also even outside, space can of course be an issue. what would be better is a zoom perhaps that covers the in between focal lengths. Any recommendations on an inexpensive telephoto lens that is not terrible for less than 300 dollars? It can be DX or an older FX lens. So 35mm equivalent 75mm to something over 100. The first 50mm or so of the range being the important part.
    If someone can suggest a prime lens for the same price that is decent that is also OK as long as it is not as tight as an 85 on crop.

Thanks a lot

2. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    If your planning on sticking to 2/3 body shots I can't see why you want any more reach. The 85 would be great if you want to add some head & shoulder shots...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ido

Ido No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It doesn't seem to me like tighter reach is really what you want. You kind of want a tighter image but also keep it kind of the same … a goldilocks lens of sorts. Perhaps you already have it, and you should stop worrying about what others might be using?

What camera do you want the lens to mount to? I guess it's a Nikon DX camera, because of the DX and FX mentions. In that case, if you're after shallower depth of field at the range you want, you're in luck—the 50mm f/1.8 is always one of the cheapest lenses in the Canon, Nikon and Sony systems.

If you want a little tighter and can't find exactly the right lens, crop in a little.

4. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I was going to recommend the common 24-85 FX lens to give you the flexibility.
    But there's better options with 18-70/2.8 lenses out there from Tamron, etc. Though I don't know the specifics. This would give you up close and further away shows at a high IQ. But a DX user needs to give input as I don't use those lenses.

5. Ido

Ido No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sigma has a 17-70mm f/2.8-4 lens. (Several revisions of it, actually. It must be the favorite range and aperture of someone in the company.) Otherwise, there are 17-50mm f/2.8 and 17-55mm f/2.8 lenses. All of this is true only for DSLRs—if the OP has a Sony E-mount camera, the closest match is the Sony 16-70mm f/4.

That being said, there are 24-70mm f/2.8 lenses the OP could try. With a tighter budget, there's the old but faithful Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, again for DSLRs.

6. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, we don't even know what camera this is for other than the Nikon "DX" and "FX" terminology is being used.

7. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Well, for the budget a prime at 50mm or 60mm will fit the bill and give a fast aperture. I have used the 85mm f/1.8D and really like the bokeh a lot more on that over the shorter lenses I have tried.

Another zoom that is outside the budget is the new Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8; only mentioned this as it seems to cover the desire for zoom and the focal length range requested.