A Little Out of Season

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yes, it's a little out of season, but I couldn't turn down the opportunity - I suppose this is as much about that as the shots.

The National Fireworks Association annual expo is being held here in Sioux Falls. Driving bus on the side, I ended up driving shuttle for them from the hotel to the fairgrounds and back. In between, I had a couple of hours of layover to sit at the fairgrounds. What was going on, you ask? 2 1/2 hours of product demonstration by manufacturers and distributors. 2 1/2 hours of one-by-one fireworks from handheld fountains to 6 inch mortars. So what's a guy to do?

This was the first time I've tried fireworks, first time I've really done anything in bulb with a remote, and haven't really done much with a tripod. There was a learning curve, but with 2 1/2 hours worth, 270 pictures later I worked through it. Some of the fireworks were big enough and close enough that at 17mm focal length I didn't have enough angle of view to get the whole burst.

It was a private party so I asked the guy in charge if I could shoot before I pulled the gear out. His reply was "Absolutely. If anyone hassles you, you tell them to go to hell. And tell them I said so!"

Oh yeah, I go back for the same thing tomorrow night!

Anyway, here are just a few of the shots.

IMG_4910a by breckmiller, on Flickr

IMG_4952a by breckmiller, on Flickr

IMG_4955a by breckmiller, on Flickr

IMG_5014a by breckmiller, on Flickr

IMG_5018a by breckmiller, on Flickr

beautiful shots. you captured the fireworks perfectly. #3 is my favourite but I also really like #2 and #4.

how long were your exposures? it looks like you timed it just right

What an awesome opportunity! I'd love a chance like that to get fireworks without the horrid crowds.
My city has a HUGE Labor Day fireworks show called "Boomsday" so you're really NOT out of season. Besides, there's really never a BAD time for giant explosives, is there? :D

The Boomsday fireworks show is less than a mile from my house. Unfortunately, I can't see them from my house (well, a few of them, but not all) because there's a big hill between me and the bridge they're shot of from. And I refuse to walk to where I can see them, because crowds like that make me want to hurt someone. Lol.

These are really nice; you did a good job, imo. I really like #3!
Now, make some prints of some of the best shots and offer to sell them to all those manufacturers and distributors. :lol:

Thanks both of you. It really is an awesome opportunity.

As far as shutter times, I was shooting in bulb mode, so I was all over the place trying different lengths at different points in the bursts. But these shots are each 1 to 3 seconds.

One more shot I found interesting - it was basically the equivalent of a flash/bang in the air. Enough light to cause lens flare. It was that loud too.

IMG_4897a by breckmiller, on Flickr

Shot #3 is an outstanding firework AND an outstanding photo!

Most reactions

Back