A little something to flounce to

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I hope that you all find the Holy Grail of composition, I hope that your centers of interest will alway be placed into on a third, with leading lines. I hope that sophomoric themes about emotions and moods are conveyed, so that everyone can understand. I hope that you find your universal aesthetic - or at least convince yourself that it's not just you being self centered.

I hope that you can get it out of your systems. Because there really is more to photography than that.

MoMA | The Collection | Photography With Images

Last edited:
and so............

Thanks for the quick museum tour, although I couldn't look at too much of it, being at work. I often wonder what would happen if one entered images that were actually in museums into camera club competitions or for c&c someplace like here.

Several years ago, there was a site that had a whole slew of famous images that had been "destroyed by others in modern critique session".

I hadn't thought about it in a long time, and since my computer with the bookmarked site crashed earlier in the year I can't post for everyone to chime in with their take on the subject.

When I get to NY, I also hit MOMA and the photo floor, always great fun.

Several years ago, there was a site that had a whole slew of famous images that had been "destroyed by others in modern critique session".

I hadn't thought about it in a long time, and since my computer with the bookmarked site crashed earlier in the year I can't post for everyone to chime in with their take on the subject.

When I get to NY, I also hit MOMA and the photo floor, always great fun.

I've seen folks do this from time to time. Sometimes it's done just for fun and sometimes it's to "prove" how useless the rules are.

The "rules" of composition are guidelines, nothing more. They are a collection of techniques and do's & don'ts that tend to produce an image that is pleasing. What is good is subjective and every situation is unique in some way. The important thing is to know WHY these rules make a good image and look at the situation and decide if they are applicable.

FWD>>[MOMS_EMAIL}>>FWD>FWD:INSPIRING_EMAIL>FWD>FWD>SUBJ:pHOTOGRAPHY_OMG_SOTRUE>FWD>FWD:FROM_GRANDMASINBOX

:lmao::greenpbl:

​composition is a design issue. not an art issue.

One thing I don't like about artists is how pretentious they generally are.

But yes, there is a difference between fine art photography and commercial photography.

In my experience - those rules are just a foundation. It's the equivalent of a chef learning how to boil water, or a musician learning their scales. The rules of composition are good for beginners because it helps them learn how to organize and compose things when they *don't* know how. Once you know the rules, it's time to break 'em.

But art doesn't often follow the rules. It's art because it doesn't. :)

Heather Clemons~
Save the Artist - a creative community
[email protected]

I hope that you all find the Holy Grail of composition, I hope that your centers of interest will alway be placed into on a third, with leading lines. I hope that sophomoric themes about emotions and moods are conveyed, so that everyone can understand. I hope that you find your universal aesthetic - or at least convince yourself that it's not just you being self centered.

I hope that you can get it out of your systems. Because there really is more to photography than that.

MoMA | The Collection | Photography With Images

I think that if you don't like what people say, the easiest thing to do is not to listen.
It is much harder to change everyone else's mind to your point of view which seems to be that nothing matters.
And, if indeed nothing matters, why are you asking - or listening?

When someone asks, I assume they want to know what I think, and so I tell them.
I have tried going over to their house and kneeling on their chest and strangling them until they agree that I'm right.
But that didn't work.
So now, if they ask, I just answer.

I think I need to stop telling everyone I'm done posting here whenever I'm Ina bad mood...

But that post had more to do with generalizations than anything anyone said to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back