A long way to go

robbyrob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the past 10 years I have been taking pictures for my job of homes and interior rooms. So I said "hey man your a photographer" Just buy a DSLR and go to town. Man was I wrong. I haven't even received my camera yet and I am already freaking out. So many things to learn like aperture, ISO, f stop I mean I really thought it was just shoot and go. I do use Photoshop minimally at best. I mean just editing like people out of photos and cropping, etc. easy stuff, not like most of the editing I have seen here.

I found this site and cant believe the amount of information on here. Also I can not believe the photos I've seen on most Flickr accounts from members here. I am overwhelmed but eager to get started at the same time. I know its going to be a long road ahead but I hope to one day take photos like most of the ones I see here or even help people were I am now in my photography skills. Thanks for the wonderful community here and let the FUN begin.

robby

One step at a time. I recommend getting an easy-to-read book like "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I don't like the book now that I look back on it, but it was my first read and it got me started in the right direction. It's easy to understand. That way when you ge t your camera you won't be like the 99% and take random pics of pop cans and Christmas decorations and post for C&C on their "very first pics!" Put some effort into it and you have a very good chance at progressing quickly.

Welcome Rob, always good to see another South Floridian around.

Something that I was told that will be very useful since you have never shot a DSLR is to read the camera manual from front to back, it will help you understand your camera and what specific things do. Another thing is don't shoot on fully automatic when you first get it, you will never really understand and grasp the camera and its features; also it would just be like shooting a point-and-shoot which then there would have been no point to buy a DSLR then. Try learning on the AV or TV setting (Aperture or Shutter) this way you learn one at a time, or you could just go manual and learn them at the same time.

Most reactions

Back