A lot of people claiming there professional :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aakajx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A lot of people in my area claim to be professional photographers on Facebook charging big money for poor jobs.
I kind of think maybe if they are starting out charge a little fee or do it free.. When do you think is the right time to call yourself a professional?

What's your thoughts ?

I guess you are professional when you are getting paid to take photos. That obviously doesn't mean they are any good.

Don't worry about them, it works itself out, when they produce crap, the clients spread the word, brings them down to reality really quickly.

PS: "they're"

There are those that think they can simply buy a camera, take some pictures and 'make money' with them. Yeah, right.

How about I buy a bunch of carpenter tools and claim I'm a carpenter ready to do home repairs for you?

Having the right tools makes getting the job done easier. KNOWING HOW TO USE THEM EFFECTIVELY produces far better results. In short, as JTPhotography noted above, they won't be 'in business' for long.

To be honest though you can buy a camera, take some pictures and make money. And may people do buy carpenter tools and do home repairs.

It doesn't make then good but in the UK we call them Cowboys (i.e cowboy builders, cowboy photographers etc). Not sure if the term i used in the US. We even have TV shows who 'out' them to the general public.

To be honest though you can buy a camera, take some pictures and make money. And may people do buy carpenter tools and do home repairs.

This is the sad truth. I was discussing this yesterday with another photographer and made the comment that it's a lot like the joke about the two guys being chased by a Tiger. One says to the other "I don't have to run fast, I just have to run faster than you!" and it's the same with photography these days. One doesn't have to be "Good" only better than the rest of the garbage being accepted by people who can't see a difference.

Don't sweat it. Once the Tiger finishes with the first guy he will still come after the second. Business is like that to.

When you are earning more than 50% of your anual income from photography but probably 90% of people that call themselves pros do not produce pro quality, a pro should be able to use any equipment given to them and get good results under any condition

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Just wait 30 to 60 days - the number of "pros" will significantly increase.

Eh people have done this for generations - the only difference today is that the internet makes you more aware of it outside of your local area than ever before.

Also have a mind that most of these people are feeding the lowest end of the market; the people who really don't want to spend and often can't spend very much on a luxury item like photography. As a result they are often in an area where a normal photographer couldn't even make a profit if they were to run fully legal and as a proper business without support of another higher earning income coming into the household.

So don't worry about them - be aware of it; but don't dwell on it. Just focus on yourself and worry about that.

There will also be hundreds of new members that have been given the instant pro pack from wallmark for Christmas

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Aaaah if only Charlie was back lol!

It is not the fault of the art itself, but of those who, on the strength of being able to dirty a piece of glass with chemicals, are pleased to dub themselves artists.

- Henry Peach Robinson, 1869

This ain't exactly new.

They see me rollin', they hatin'

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro means getting paid.

Any other definition leads to founts of bitterness and negativity... and threads like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back