TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken in my yard during mating season (the snake's not mine).:lol:

Jerry

Snakesdoublecopy.jpg

very Medusa-eque! cool shot!

Great shot! These are Chicago Gartersnakes, Thamnophis sirtalis semifasciatus, a variety of snake found only around Chicago. The two on top are males, and the large one on the bottom is the female.

Great shot! These are Chicago Gartersnakes, Thamnophis sirtalis semifasciatus, a variety of snake found only around Chicago. The two on top are males, and the large one on the bottom is the female.

Natalie,

That is some very interesting information. I know the two on top are male and the other one female but I didn't know these are a variety found only in the Chicago area. Thank you so much for that info. I saw a nature program once that showed and explained the mating ritual of the garter snake in Canada. Many, many males will compete for one female and the female is larger than the males. With many males competing only one will be successful. A few years ago when my daughter came home from school she told me there were some snakes in the yard fighting:lol:. When I went to check the situation out there were at least eight or nine crawling around on each other. I don't have unwarranted fear of spiders and snakes as people know who are familiar with my macro shots but that doesn't mean I'm going to get friendly with the venomous ones. If a snake gets in front of the lawnmower as I'm cutting grass I will stop and let it live but at times accidents do happen.

All other members who commented on the shot thank you. It is much appreciated.

Jerry

With many males competing only one will be successful.

No competition here....Snakey three-some!! lol

I am a bit skeptic about this statement;' "at a time", only one will be successful' - is valid for any mating, i suppose...does this mean once a pair is made others leave? (actually this is a doubt)

Regards :D

I am a bit skeptic about this statement;' "at a time", only one will be successful' - is valid for any mating, i suppose...does this mean once a pair is made others leave? (actually this is a doubt)

Regards :D

I've been away without internet access so I'm a bit late in answering this but here is link to a site that confirms or at least states the same as what I said.
: [Pulse of the Planet]erry

The above link didn't work but I did research it and read the same thing as stated before that the female will mate with one and only one male even though she may have a hundred or more suitors. Wish the link would work but a bit of research will find it.

Jerry

The above link didn't work but I did research it and read the same thing as stated before that the female will mate with one and only one male even though she may have a hundred or more suitors. Wish the link would work but a bit of research will find it.

Jerry[/QUOTE

Links works fine more me. Try it again.

Most reactions

Back