A Medium-Format and a Massive Zoom

Look, the "Bigma" is not a lens option for you. It's a specialty lens and weighs as much as a little college refrigerator.

You're going to want to look at some other lenses, trust us on this one.

Er ok... at the risk of being ageist, if you are 13 I really don't think you want the Bigma. Older folks don't generally want a lens that big either. And I don't think anyone of any age or build would want to use it as an everyday walkaround lens.

Honestly, if you want to cover the range from 50 to 450mm then you would be better doing it with at least two lenses. You did say you were looking for a really good zoom... well a really good zoom is not the same as a really long one.

I think perhaps the obvious question here is, what lenses do you have already?

First off, if anyone out there has one, I'd like to know whether or not it's worth getting a medium-format camera. You know, those 50lb "things" that give you 22MP or higher? And also, I'm looking for a really good zoom for my XTi-something like 50-450. I'm not one of the guys who knows everything about every camera and every lens *But thank god for the people who do* so I need some opinions.

For you it is not worth it. If you needed such a camera, you would know you need it and would be ready to pay the price for it. Since you don't know, then the answer is no.

Hi End Game. This is totally off subject but to clue you in, love in and of itself has no weight, width, breadth or depth and therefore has no value- by itself. It is the person, or persons, creating it that gives it it's value.

You will find it's much the same with photography. :)

mike

The Hasselblad 22mp camera is $23,000. At least that is what it is at B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/463798-REG/Hasselblad_70360510_H3D_22_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

If you're gonna buy a Hassey, then buy a mans Hassey.:lol:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/463797-REG/Hasselblad_70360530_H3D_39_SLR_Digital_Camera.html
Whats $32,000.00 between friends? Keep in mind the cheapest lens is only $1800.00 for the 80mm f2.8. Waiting for the day Sigma makes a "Bigma" for this little baby. :lmao:

OK, alot to say here.

1. THIS IS WHY I HATE ADMITTING I'M 13!!!

Iron: First off, how many times do I have to say this is part of a spree? I am looking at other lenses. And I know how much it weighs, *4.05 lbs, I'm hoping my fridge isn't that small when I'm in college* my brother's current girlfriend is a professional photographer *Only because she gets free cameras from her cousin who runs a repair store...lucky SOB--she has around 20 cameras, and a ton of lenses* And I have tried and held many lenses and cameras. And it just occurred to me...the filters for the Bigma are going to cost a fortune

Zaphod: I've already said that this i just part of a shopping spree I'm going on soon. This isn't going to be my "walkaround lens". I just normally take a lot of shots that are fast-paced and can be near or far sooo...why not get a lens that goes near and far? And I know bigger lenses can be slower in shooting but I can afford that. And I don't have any other lenses-it's pure stock for now. The only other lenses I've used were borrowed from Laura *My bro's girlfriend*. And by the way, its 50-500, not 50-450.

fmw: Technically, I don't "know" I need anything, but I want it all the same. And you're saying I'd be ready to pay the price? Yea...maybe I just wasn't thinking that a camera that offers double the MP of my XTi is going to cost 25x as much!!

droyz::shock:

Mike: So is that why Nikon has over one million lenses? Gee, I never would have guessed.

Paul:...wow

Gryphon: mehehehehe

Just curious, what kind of photography do you do/plan on doing with this stuff? I totally get the thing about jonesing for equipment, in any event. I bought an Omega 45D with no idea of what I was going to do with it, but I figured that at some point, its purpose would be made clear to me. I was at a county fair this weekend and saw a guy handholding a 500mm attached to a Canon 1D at the horse-handling demonstrations.

" And on the ninth day the lord was bored and he looked through the heavens and the earth for the most ridicules thing he had created and found man. The lord decided to see if he could out do this most ridicules creation and thus he created the Hasseyma.

hasseybigmanf6.jpg

And lo there were those among the creatures called Man that went out and bought it. And the lord laughed.

From the book of Kodak, 3:19

Montresor: I do alot of "Newspaper-worthy" shots. Things like local fires, accidents, sports events, etc. And normally with stuff like accidents and fires, it's barricaded off pretty far from the scene, and there are a lot of people doing a lot of things, so I need to be able to capture alot from far away. And sports just speaks for itself, fast-paced and far away.

Gryphon: Every man must have his toys. :lol:

OK, alot to say here.

1. THIS IS WHY I HATE ADMITTING I'M 13!!!

Hey, I am 35 and would not want the Bigma monster either :p

too large, too heavy and too slow.

[edit: too large, too heavy and too slow .. the Bigma, not me! ;)]

" And on the ninth day the lord was bored and he looked through the heavens and the earth for the most ridicules thing he had created and found man. The lord decided to see if he could out do this most ridicules creation and thus he created the Hasseyma.

hasseybigmanf6.jpg

And lo there were those among the creatures called Man that went out and bought it. And the lord laughed.

From the book of Kodak, 3:19

You just made my morning 10x better!

Most reactions

Back