A mine field and some new and interesting (to me at least) photos for C&C.

Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Here are 2 more, let me know what you think.
I'm also adding in an HDR of a scene I saw while really trying to frame up picture 1. I turned around and said WOW! Nice surprise.

1. Just a field with a hut that I thought gave a nice storytelling scene.
fieldofgreenwithhut.jpg

2. Speaks for itself. (not adjusted in any way, as shot).
newgrowthinaminefieldsmall.jpg

3. The HDR. The colour of the green grass in number 1, is the exact colour of the grass (same field, different angle), use that as a reference to how green the grass is in this one.

I know that the twigs sticking out in the front right bottom are a problem, but I couldn't move them or myself. The field to my left was totally muddy and when I tried to stand in it to move to the left, I sank in +- 20cm (8"), so that was a no-go to try and repose it.
Makhanayim-Galil.jpg

I'm an HDR guy, so I obviously favor #3 (though I'd probably spend an afternoon fiddling with the color and contrast). I'm beginning to be one of those people who believe that there aren't any scenes that HDR can't make better!

I'm an HDR guy, so I obviously favor #3 (though I'd probably spend an afternoon fiddling with the color and contrast). I'm beginning to be one of those people who believe that there aren't any scenes that HDR can't make better!
Thanks. What do you think could be done to improve #3? Feel free to play around with it and post back. I can send you the original file if you wish.

Absolutely love the sun rays in number 3. Nice work. That's the only one that catches my eye tho.
Blue

Absolutely love the sun rays in number 3. Nice work. That's the only one that catches my eye tho.
Blue

Thanks Blue. Amazing what happens when you're spending all your time trying to set up a particular shot, and you turn around and happen to see the shot you should have been there for in the first place. I love those "accidents".

I can send you the original file if you wish.

You mean "files" right? How many shots did you take, and how far apart are the exposures?

I don't think there's much interesting about the first one. The second one seems like it could tell a good story, though I think I'd have preferred the truck in the back to be in sharper focus (which would have required a pretty small aperture depending on what focal length you were at). This shot would look great in black and white with the contrast pumped up.

The third one is definitely a good candidate for HDR, but the current version looks a little off - espeically the sky areas where there aren't any clouds; they're kind of an unnatural shade of blue-grey.

I can send you the original file if you wish.

You mean "files" right? How many shots did you take, and how far apart are the exposures?

I don't think there's much interesting about the first one. The second one seems like it could tell a good story, though I think I'd have preferred the truck in the back to be in sharper focus (which would have required a pretty small aperture depending on what focal length you were at). This shot would look great in black and white with the contrast pumped up.

The third one is definitely a good candidate for HDR, but the current version looks a little off - espeically the sky areas where there aren't any clouds; they're kind of an unnatural shade of blue-grey.

:blushing:Actually, I thought I set the camera to bracket it at a -2, 0 +2 exposure, and when I got home I realized that I must have screwed up somewhere, and all three were in the same exposure. So I just used the 1 file to make the HDR, adjusting the two extra "photos" at +2 and -2 exposure.
As for the minefield photo, I shot it in Aperture Priority, 100 ISO, 1/10 second on a tripod, 55-250mm lens at focal length of 131mm, with an aperture value of 29. As high as the lens would go. Any suggestions for the next time?

As for the minefield photo, I shot it in Aperture Priority, 100 ISO, 1/10 second on a tripod, 55-250mm lens at focal length of 131mm, with an aperture value of 29. As high as the lens would go. Any suggestions for the next time?

Well you had the right idea then; how far away were you from the sign? Getting farther back, even if it meant zooming in more, would have increased your DOF to get the truck in focus.

Personally I really like the B&W version, and interestingly it makes the truck look less OOF to me. Maybe add a little sharpening? That's just my taste though. :)

Well you had the right idea then; how far away were you from the sign? Getting farther back, even if it meant zooming in more, would have increased your DOF to get the truck in focus.

Personally I really like the B&W version, and interestingly it makes the truck look less OOF to me. Maybe add a little sharpening? That's just my taste though. :)

I was +- 20' or 3 meters from the sign, I'll try to move further back next time. I have as of yet, not tried to sharpen, but I'll try it and see what happens.
Thanks for the input.

Any better?
#1. original,
minefieldBW.jpg

#2. Sharpened.
minefieldBW-sharpened16.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back