A New Pricing Problem

Oh yeah, well I don't really have an issue with that at this point. I'm just wondering where I should start as far as negotiating how I'm paid.

First you will have to figure out your over head. Then consider wear and tear on the gear. Most importantly you must figure out how much your time is worth and how much time you put into each image and or the whole shoot.

Love & Bass

Since this is your first job in this arena, treat as both a learning curve and promo. Charge what is a fair price for time, materials, wear and tear etc. Quote a standard price with a nominal charge for either usage or copyright - win/win. With experience and reputation come higher prices and the ability to sell copyright at premium prices.

From what you have said, I don't think your in a position to set a premium price.

Hrm....well okay I guess I figure something out. I'm not about to set a premium on my photos, I realize I'm not at a point where I can do that yet, but I also need to pay rent.

I'm still waiting for an idea of how many photos he wants to end up with and what kind of usage they'll get so I guess I'm not ready to give him a bid anyways.

Thanks for the help

Hrm....well okay I guess I figure something out. I'm not about to set a premium on my photos, I realize I'm not at a point where I can do that yet, but I also need to pay rent.

I'm still waiting for an idea of how many photos he wants to end up with and what kind of usage they'll get so I guess I'm not ready to give him a bid anyways.

Thanks for the help

Don't be disheartened - every professional worth his salt started out with similar problems to yours. It is all a business curve that can be a real eye opener. Your not just a professional, your also a business person - they can be hard to to meet in the middle sometimes.

It is always a fight between paying the bills and signing the deal. It takes years of experience to get there - your at the start - it will get easier over time

luck be with you

Don't be disheartened - every professional worth his salt started out with similar problems to yours. It is all a business curve that can be a real eye opener. Your not just a professional, your also a business person - they can be hard to to meet in the middle sometimes.

It is always a fight between paying the bills and signing the deal. It takes years of experience to get there - your at the start - it will get easier over time

luck be with you
Thanks, I think my issue these days is I'm anxious to move past the "getting into the business so you have to take a loss" phase as I feel like I've been doing that a while. I'm impatient what can I say?

:D

I didn't read any of the other replies, so excuse me if this is redundant...but be careful about how you spell out the release. Many people new to photography are giving clients "copyright releases". Bear in mind that if you release the copyright, then YOU would have to get THEIR permission to use the photos on your website, marketing material, etc.

When we sell digitals to clients we give them "full reproductive rights" and spell out in the release that while they are able to do whatever they want as far as printing photos, they are not allowed to sell the images, and we are still able to use them in our portfolio, advertisements, etc.

Most reactions

Back