A nice long exposure with a torch on a windy night!

sam_franklin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
samjfranklin.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I was in some ways unlucky that by the time my D5100's battery had charged it was dark but I went and tried out some shots, tested out the noise at higher ISO levels and I was impressed. A shot of my friend playing round with a torch on a long exposure is below!
$DSC_0096.JPG

What kind of a torch has a flicker?

Designer said:
O.K., what kind of FLASHLIGHT has a flicker?

LED flashlights

Oh, o.k., thanks, Tyler

Designer said:
Oh, o.k., thanks, Tyler

No probs! LEDs flicker. You can see it on led Christmas lights quite well.

LED Christmas lights are powered by AC power, and since LEDs are directional they turn off for half of each cycle (at 50 or 60 Hz). (I hate LED Christmas lights for exactly that reason, by the way). LED flashlights (torches) run off of DC power (batteries), so if an LED flashlight flickers it's probably in a low-power mode which turns it on and off rapidly to make it dimmer and conserve power.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

christop said:
LED Christmas lights are powered by AC power, and since LEDs are directional they turn off for half of each cycle (at 50 or 60 Hz). (I hate LED Christmas lights for exactly that reason, by the way). LED flashlights (torches) run off of DC power (batteries), so if an LED flashlight flickers it's probably in a low-power mode which turns it on and off rapidly to make it dimmer and conserve power.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Indeed, thank you for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back