A penny for your thoughts?

theTailor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im looking at upgrading (switching?) from my nikon n75 to digital. Most of what I do is graphic art/design where i used my photos in (so they need to get into digital format some way) and would like would like to get a little more into plan old photography (however that may look) but film and developing cost are too much for me.
As I factor in my needs and budget SLR-like/prosumer camera seems to be the way to go. I think I have narrowed it down to three options...

-Sony Cyber Shot DSC-R1

-Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50

- fuji finepix s9100

I am looking for:
- good price (in college)
- manual functionality
- raw captures
- very good range of focal lengths (telecoverter/wide-angle coverters ok)
- good - very good macro (i like macro photographs :wink:)
- bonus: desent video and or continiuos capture

I would much like any feedback. Pro or cons. Opinions on the cameras. Post a a good review you saw. Suggest a comparable Camera I may have overlooked. Even if you know of one of these being sold somewhere at a good price or someone that might like my n75 ;)

I thank you for your time,
theTailor

I don't know jack about those cameras but I'm sure others will so I'll just try to throw in some general thoughts.

I've always used the "digital is cheaper because of no film" idea too but if you actually do the math and figure the intial cost of a digital cam compared to an equivalent film cam I'd be curious to know how many pics you'd need to shoot on digital before the cost would balance out. So while I'll agree that long term digital might be a bit cheaper... the initial start up will be more expensive.

Also while I don't know those cameras I don't *think* any of those are dSLR's. If you're serious about getting into photography you might want to consider that as I think it's a bit safer of an investment (although a bigger one). If you pump money into lenses they should last a looong time (assuming you don't beat them) regardless of the camera body.

Haha so... that's my input. Not worth much but you said a Penny For Your Thoughts and you get what you pay for. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

It is my opinion that you would be much better off with a DSLR than on of those 'SLR-Like' cameras. Actually, the Sony R1 is the exception...because it has a large sensor like a DSLR does...but the others have a physically small sensor...which is not good.

But if you were considering the R1...why not look at the D50...which should actually be cheaper. Nikon is also rumored to be coming out with a D40...entry level DSLR.

Sure, a DLSR won't allow you to capture video...but if you want quality video...get a video camera...don't rely on a still camera.

You already have an N75...so any lenses will be compatible with a Nikon DSLR. Also, because you are used to an SLR camera...a DSLR will be a good fit. I can't stand the way that most digi-cams work...they are usually so slow to take the image when you press the button...etc.

Being in graphic/art design...image quality will be important to you...a DSLR will outperform a digi-cam any day of the week. (again, the R1 does have a large sensor, so is better than most or all 'digi-cams').

Another reason to go with a DSLR...is the investment. Regular digital cameras go out of date very quickly...and so do DSLRs...to some extent...but the lenses don't depreciate nearly as fast. You won't always be a student...and you will want to get new/better lenses one day...a DSLR will allow that...an 'SLR-Like' camera won't.

Getting into digital, setting up, acquiring the stuff (specs) you want, is expensive! Much, much more expensive than 35mm cameras and stuff. Especially now (check E-Bay). Because 95% of the world's 35mm owners want to get out. And into digital. So they're flogging their 35mm gear. All at the same time. At lo-lo prices. 'Cause nobody's buying...
Wonder why.
So imho if you really want to go digital you need to bite the bullet. It'll be expensive.
But worth it.

thanks for the feedback so far guys.
I was actually think about a D50 at first cuz of the lens thing like mike mentioned but wasnt 100% that my lenses would work... but the G-type lenses i have will? that be cool.

i saw this review on cnet and it looks like the R1 and D50 perform very close (as speeds. shot to shot, burst, ect.) althought in the end the prices are also similiar since the R1 has a larger DSLR sensor.

thoughts on that?...

Yes, the R1 was made to be as like a DSLR as possible...so the price and performance reflect that. The big difference I see...is that it has a built-in lens. While it may be a decent lens...there is not any chance to upgrade it. With a D50, you have the option to use any of Nikon's great lenses (or lenses from Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc.)

Yes, your Nikkor G lenses will work on any Nikon DSLR.

So yesterday i stop in at local store and the guy was showing me a digital rebel (300D) its an older camera but because of that the price is right. Does this camera still compete with a D50 or newer low end DSLR's?

The 300D and the D50 are quite close in terms of image quality. The 300D is slightly larger than the D50, I believe; that may or may not be a consideration in your decision.

The 300D was a good DSLR in it's day...and wildly popular. You can even hack the firmware to unlock a bunch of features that were on the higher model (the 10D).

However, there have been plenty of advances in technology since then. I think the D50 will probably be a better camera...if only because it's newer. Plus, if you already have Nikon, why not stick with Nikon? (that's hard for a Canon user like me to say ;) )

if you already have Nikon, why not stick with Nikon? (that's hard for a Canon user like me to say ;-) )

WOW!! I am impressed :)

but i think ill be going against the grain on this though. The biggest reason i can seem to find, in my searching, to go with the D50 is that its newer and I'll have some lens. I think in the long run it'll be better for me to go with the 300D (cheaper for a kit than a D50 body some places and from what i've research, better in some aspects). Its seem like the canon family is just superior in many ways and made a mistake of not getting the rebel t2 when i got my N75 (Sorry to all the Nikon fans out there :S ).

thank you to all who offered there thoghts and idea.

p.s. It would be great if someone could post up a link or info on hacking the 300D like Mike mentioned :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back