A Philadelphia Street

What were you looking at when you took the picture?
It seems like a random picture of a random street with nothing specific to look at.

What were you looking at when you took the picture?
It seems like a random picture of a random street with nothing specific to look at.

I was looking at the garages thought they were interesting

I think that if you look at the work of most successful photographers they have already decided exactly what they want to show and have the viewer see in each shot. That is what guides the choice of settings.

There are a lot of streets here in Philly where you can take this kind of picture. If the appearance of the garages is what interested you, then you have to ask yourself how you can present that best. Our eyes concentrate on a small part in the center of the visual field. The photo shows the entire area, of which the doors are only a small part. While you were looking at the scene you posted, your eye/brain were concentrating on one or two doors. That is what you want in your photo. The famous quote by Robert Capa is: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough”

There are a lot of streets here in Philly where you can take this kind of picture. If the appearance of the garages is what interested you, then you have to ask yourself how you can present that best. Our eyes concentrate on a small part in the center of the visual field. The photo shows the entire area, of which the doors are only a small part. While you were looking at the scene you posted, your eye/brain were concentrating on one or two doors. That is what you want in your photo. The famous quote by Robert Capa is: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough”
Thanks KenC I've been trying to improve with my composition. i will keep this in mind

i like the photo but it is really busy, almost too busy to where you dont know what exactly to focus on
still good pic!

i like the photo but it is really busy, almost too busy to where you dont know what exactly to focus on
still good pic!

Without specifically wanting to argue with tbrunke, I have a different view of this picture. It makes me frustrated because my eye skips down the row of things and I have no idea what the OP wants me to look at.
Typically images with long leading lines like this either 'lead' to something or have something about the lines themselves that make it interesting and perhaps even enjoyable to the viewer - but its the responsibility of the OP to show the viewer what to look at.

In this case, because QJ (?) hasn't settled in his mind, exactly why he took the shot, it is less satisfying to the viewer.
I hope that makes sense.

Lew

Most reactions

New Topics

Back