A Photographer's Responsibilities On Clothing Choices For Portraits

Okay a similar comment was getting some strong opinions, on another thread. So rather then hijack the thread I started a new one, because actually this a subject that bears discussion. Where is the line where a photographer should impose their own standards, on the subject??? We're careful about everything else, why shouldn't you use the same standards when being objective about clothing???? You hope your portrait will be around for a few years, so do you go with a classic look, or do you bend to current fads??? Where do you draw the line????

Here's a link of interest. Clothing for Portraits - How to Tell your Subjects What to Wear
I am no professional and I've never had a pro tell me what to wear. When someone does ask me for a photo session I make recommendations on what to wear but I do not tell them what to wear. As an example, my wife likes purple but did not know how to coordinate with it. I started by suggesting blues and reds. When she asked why, I informed her because that is how you make purple -- mix blue and red.

As for style, try to avoid small patters and tight stripes. My friend, Kim, wanted a photo shoot where everyone was in blue jean cut offs and white t-shirts. Not my first choice. We did make it look really cute.

Add. Stripes
I am as they say on the big side... yep well padded Horizontal stripes make me look fatter as it does on a lot of others who are like me

Add. Stripes

Though sometimes more noticeable in architectural photography, unless your camera has a good anti alias filter, include small repetitive patterns in the clothing list, unless you want to deal with moiré in a portrait.

Personally I feel that as image makers, we know better what creates a good image/portrait than the client or subject does in many instances. If a portrait is meant to document someone's personality, I ask them to bring selections of their favorite clothes and we will put outfits together based on both of our perspectives. I find that if I leave a client solely in charge of their wardrobe, I'm disappointed more often than not. The result means that the photos aren't as good as they can be and don't quite meet my standards.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back