a picture of my son

JustAMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
there are a few things I would do differently for sure, but as I still have the eye of an amatuer id like to hear what you owld do differently as well. i have something in my mind but I cant seem to create it in reality...

im more of an amature than you... i dont really know much. but it seems hard to tell if the plant or the child is the subject of the picture

It has some spots in the back that are really blown out.

I love the comp, looks great to me.

My eye is drawn to the fern since it is the most colorful thing in the photo. Unless the patio and plant are important to the story (say this was a special trip to Grandma's house), I would crop them out and just have the boy.

~jen

I like it very much....The plant does get my eye more than the child does...I would blur it a bit so that the focus in more on the child...But as you, Im a noob at this too....Wonderful picture though.....

This is a lovely spur-of-the-moment photo which has your son with an expression that you would never have got otherwise but to click this instance. NOW.

Photographically, what strikes me most is that the background is a lot (as in a lot) brighter than your son, so much so that large parts are blown out. That sure distracts from your son, he should be "in the limelight", as it were. The background takes all that away from him. As do the vertical lines, I think. So to my mind, it is the background much rather than the fern that takes "the blame".

In pp I would try - in order to save this lovely expression, action, scene - to selectively darken that bright background and equally selectively (in a second step) brighten your boy just a little.

I don't know if it is really possible.
But if this were my picture, I'd try.

I'd also possibly play with crop ideas to bring the focus more on your boy, though there isn't awfully much room other than contemplating a vertical crop, but that would cut up the puddle and I don't know if you didn't plan the puddle to be part of your composition?

Most reactions

Back