A Pink Rose. Criticism Welcome!

CodeiJ94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$100_2140.jpg
$100_2141.jpg
I very recently got my first camera. Just a cheap 7.2 Megapixel Kodak Z712 IS, but I love it nonetheless! I just started enjoying photography, and I certainly a beginner, so criticism is appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

The dark background in #1 makes the flower "pop", but it is in profile.

Shot #2 show the flower structure better, but the background is too light for best effect.

Why not combine the two features, and shoot this again, making a head-on shot with a dark background?

How exactly would I go about making the background darker when taking the picture?

Thank you for the critique!

How exactly would I go about making the background darker when taking the picture?

Thank you for the critique!

Use flash... meter the background and underexpose it.. properly expose the subject with flash. Instant dark background!

this works because... Shutter speed controls ambient light.... Aperture controls flash....

I'll definitely retake it and see how it turns out! I appreciate the help!

The rose, in itself, is not very interesting.
As Charlie mentioned, darken the background to make it stand out more from the background.
Try keeping the rose out of the dead centre.

$100_2761.jpg$100_2762.jpg
I tried retaking the pictures. I managed to get the background darker, and I feel like I made the flower stand out more, but I am having trouble getting the camera to focus on the flower if it's not in the center. Any suggestions?

I tried retaking the pictures. I managed to get the background darker, and I feel like I made the flower stand out more, but I am having trouble getting the camera to focus on the flower if it's not in the center. Any suggestions?

With that camera, you probably don't have a choice but to center them... but you can always leave a little room, and then crop it to uncenter the subject.

I'll have to give that a shot! I would really like to upgrade to a nicer camera. Hopefully i'll come across a decent one soon!

$100_2933.jpg
This is really about the most out of center I can get the flower. What type of camera would y'all suggest for a low budget camera better than my current 7.1 MP Kodak Easyshare Z712 IS?

Most reactions

Back