A portrait and my first long exposure

JimmyAtlantis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took about 300 shots this weekend. Here are a couple.

175786439_24a4c73265_o.jpg

15", f16, 18mm with Canon 18-55mm kit, ISO 400

This was my first time shooting long exposures. I was going for the big burst of light so I'm pretty happy with it.

175786441_29ad204cb7_o.jpg

1/100, f5, 140mm with Canon 70-300mm, flash, ISO 100

I also took some shots of a Shelby Cobra, a Z28 and a Mustang fastback.

Very nice. Good bright colors without it being to overpowering. Very nice for your first time working with long exposures

With number 1 if you use a lower f number you don't get the star effect from the street lightsas much. I've had f8-f11 recommended to me as being the 'sweetspot' but I haven't really verified that...

seeing as you asked!

magicmonkey said:
With number 1 if you use a lower f number you don't get the star effect from the street lightsas much.

I was actually going for the bigger star effect. I took 5-7 shots of this all with different fstops/shutter speeds. As long as the exposure is correct it's up to the shooter to determine what's creatively correct, right?

So let's talk about the general exposure. How is the overall exposure? This seems to be where I'm having the most difficulty. I'm always either under or over.

Please keep in mind I've been shooting for 2 weeks. :mrgreen:

Neat idea!!! I like the effect that setup gave.

However, if you want a "cleaner" look to the shot, you could expose 3 times and combine in HDR. A long one for the sky, shorter for the street, and even shorter for the light streaks from cars passing by. That might keep the passing cars from looking blown out, and you'd have nice, clean lines. The aperture setting would still be up to you though. Just depends on if you like the starbursting that you get off the streetlights.

JimmyAtlantis said:
I was actually going for the bigger star effect. I took 5-7 shots of this all with different fstops/shutter speeds. As long as the exposure is correct it's up to the shooter to determine what's creatively correct, right?

Sorry Jimmy, didn't mean to cause offence! That was the advice given to me when I started out night photography and I found it useful so thought I'd pass it on, didn't mean to imply it was a bad picture because of the star effect :)

magicmonkey said:
Sorry Jimmy, didn't mean to cause offence! That was the advice given to me when I started out night photography and I found it useful so thought I'd pass it on, didn't mean to imply it was a bad picture because of the star effect :)

No. I didn't take it like that at all. I've been doing this for 2 weeks. I'm not going to take any offense to any real help. Now if somebody says something looks like dog doo and doesn't offer anything constructive, that would offend me. :thumbup: More c&c please

Reverend said:
Neat idea!!! I like the effect that setup gave.

However, if you want a "cleaner" look to the shot, you could expose 3 times and combine in HDR. A long one for the sky, shorter for the street, and even shorter for the light streaks from cars passing by. That might keep the passing cars from looking blown out, and you'd have nice, clean lines. The aperture setting would still be up to you though. Just depends on if you like the starbursting that you get off the streetlights.

Pardon my noobness, but whats HDR. Is that a layer style in photoshop??

Well, I personally find the first pic too bright, but I'm afraid that is just me, I tend to go for the darker ones - or it is my really bright monitor that suggests this is too bright when it really isn't.

But congrats on the cute little portrait you took of the child. I really like that one! A bit on the bright side, too, but her expression is adorable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back